Subsidence? Pictures.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!
I bought a house and moved in only a week ago!
We have a survey done on the house which showed a hairline crack to the front of the house which is believed to be long standing and not at risk of subsidence. Great.
But! In the conservatory we have noticed this (on the times we viewed there was a large tv unit there and kids toys everywhere so this wasn't obvious at the time and probably wasn't obvious to a surveyor either!)
We are now worried this is subsidence,
A few notes:
-there is no crack inside the house
-the house was built in 1980 and the conservatory around the late 90s
- the mortar on the whole house and neighbours properti

Sponsored Links
-The mortar on the whole house and the neighbours properties is very sandy
-the house is timber framed.
-there are no trees nearby

Attachments

• IMG_6750.JPG
    IMG_6750.JPG
    219.4 KB · Views: 529
  • IMG_6745.JPG
    IMG_6745.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 611
  • IMG_6748.JPG
    IMG_6748.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 518
  • IMG_6750.JPG
    IMG_6750.JPG
    219.4 KB · Views: 490
  • IMG_6745.JPG
    IMG_6745.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 461
  • IMG_6748.JPG
    IMG_6748.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 508
So the crack is only between ground level and the bottom of the window, right?

Thank you for the reply.

And yes as far as I can see that is the only place.

Sponsored Links
I'd be more concerned about the airbrick in the conservatory- indicates a less than conscientious build of the thing, wonder what else the builder skimped on.

I'd also be having a word with your surveyor- reasonable to miss that if there was a fixed cupboard in front of it, not so reasonable if there was just clutter hiding it. But don't go charging in all guns blazing, presumably it was a homebuyers survey not a full structural and it doesn't look significant to me, possibly a bit of differential movement between the house and the conservatory?

Re the conservatory- in the homebuyers pack was there any mention of building regs for the conservatory (and/or FENSA certs for the glazing)

Thank you,
We have a fensa for the windows BUT all windows apart from that one were done in 2014. im guessing they were done previous to that though too as I'm pretty sure that window isn't original.
Unfortunatly there was a cupboard there and I just think they didn't feel the need to move or do anything as there was no other signs to warrant it. Either that or they just didn't want the hassle of moving stuff.
No mention of building regs for the conservatory and the previous owners had to get indemnity insurance for it as the conservatory outdated the time they had been here.
Ive tried to get into contact with the surveyors but they haven't answered the phone yet. We will see.
Oh and yes it was just a homebuyers report....kicking myself now though.

It is a tricky one, my initial thought was that is was a thermal crack but after further thought, it is not what you would call a classic stepped subsidence crack but it does appear to be slightly wider at the top than the bottom so it might be very slight subsidence.

I wouldn't panic just yet though. First thing I would do is get that rainwater drain on the corner tested just to make sure it isn't leaking and causing issues with the foundation on the corner.

After that monitor the crack (accurately measure width of crack) over 6 months and see if it is still moving.

It seems to be fairly minor though so you are probably only talking about some re-pointing and maybe some stitch repairs. (Google Helifix for more details). I certainly wouldn't flag it up with the house insurers yet.

I do not think you will get much joy from the surveyors, they cannot be expected to move large TV cabinets and tidy up the kids toys to look in all the nooks and crannies. It is sometimes worth having a punt though, ask for their formal complaints procedure. Even if you only get the survey fee refunded there is no harm in trying.

I would first go back to the vendors solicitor,you have excellent clear photos to explain your concern.
Mention the area (as you have already here) was made inaccessible for inspection to the surveyor and your self.
See what the solicitors say,if not happy with their reply then inform them you will be getting an investigation into the crack (at your own cost) then if expensive remedial work is required you will ask the vendor to reimburse you.via the court if necessary.
Maybe tell the surveyor about the crack and get from them in writing the reason they did not visually inspect this part of the wall.
Could be a few reasons for that crack cant really tell but you can monitor (measure) the crack or get one of these or similar attached to the wall http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Linestorm...368032?hash=item2112257f20:g:SMcAAOSwrx5UWQD~
Had this problem in a previous property and the vendor paid for the remedial works,i think their insurance paid up.
Good luck.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I'm afraid it's a case of caveat emptor - let the buyer beware. The vendor has no responsibility to divulge anything, and even if the buyer asked if there were any outstanding issues, and got it in writing, they could still wriggle out of something like this. Although the crack appears to be widening towards the top, I think it may be an optical illusion, and is in fact dropping on the right, so it could be an issue with the foundations on the side wall. I wonder if they caused a problem when they excavated for the foundations for the conservatory.

You need to look around the side of the house, and see if there are any other issues, as well as above the conservatory wall. It looks as though there may have been some remedial work to the pointing below the bedroom window above the conservatory.

Shrinkage following heating of the conservatory, or some poor toothing when built. That does not look like subsidence.

Every case will be different but if an existing possibly serious defect is covered up to avoid detection then its more than buyer beware.
Been there and won my case,it took some detective work but worth the effort.

Every case will be different but if an existing possibly serious defect is covered up to avoid detection then its more than buyer beware.
Been there and won my case,it took some detective work but worth the effort.

That crack has not exactly been covered up though has it?

Thank you for all of your replies.
The actual crack hasn't been filled or patched. And the re pointing below the bedroom window was done when the windows were changed in 2014
Thank you again for the replies

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back