Survey??

rlw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am selling my house and my buyer had a survey done. This survey has come back saying the house is suffering from subsidence and not worth the valuation!

We only moved in 3 years ago and that survey came back fine, and I have no idea where the surveyor has got this 'subsidence' from. There are no new cracks (other than the minor few that where here when we moved in, and which were disregarded in our survey as age of the house). All the doors close fine and there are no gaps besides the windows etc.

I just don't know what to do next as obviously our buyer is now panicking!

Has anyone else had this problem?

Sponsored Links
you could ask the buyer to show you his evidence and say you are not aware of any subsidence so are not planning to reduce the price.

doubtless he is trying to bargain the price down as far as he can, whether it's true or not.

You need to get a copy of the survey.

Don't comment any further until they provide a full, unedited copy of the report

OK. I have given my solicitor and the estate agent a copy of my old survey to show that we had nothing come up. I am just not accepting the de-valuation.

I guess I can get a copy of the survey through my solicitor.

Sponsored Links
i doubt you will get a copy of the survey.

put the shoe on the other foot.

you paid for the survey why would you want some one else to see it for free?

my uncle had a survey round when selling his place, bloke there all day, the buyer didnt buy.

my uncle never did find out why

OK. I have given my solicitor and the estate agent a copy of my old survey to show that we had nothing come up. I am just not accepting the de-valuation.

Your old survey is irrelevant - even if it was done the week before, it has little bearing on the current condition at the time of the buyers survey.

If the survey has detected subsidence (and it really is) then you may well have to accept a reduced price if any.

Ask for a copy of the report, and imply that you are willing to negotiate if the survey has found problems, but you need to look at it first. Most interested buyers will provide a copy, but if they wont, or want to charge you, just say you are not interested and put the property back on the market

Thanks for the advice.

I am asking for a copy so we can see exactly what is wrong. I am also going to get an independent structural engineers report done so I know exactly what is going on. I know it isn't subsiding and this way I will have the proof.

Then I expect - put it back on the market if our buyer won't budge!

dont waste your money just yet on getting an independent structural engineers report done, like what woody says it wont have any bearing and not worth the paper its written on as far as a buyer is concerned, they could be chancing there arm with the current housing crisis and will probably tell you it needs ex amount to put right so can you deduct, i cant see a problem with them showing you their report unless there playin the game.

People often use reports as an excuse to back out of a purchase as well - even if one hasn't written anything damning in the report! If you get an SE's report giving it the ok, it's often the case that the (apparent) raising of an issue by a vendor's survey report is enough to make them not believe any comment to the contrary. Don't waste your money at this point in time.

As others have said, don't just take hearsay at face value, ask to see a copy of it and if they don't let you, f**k 'em off at the high port.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back