Subsidence caused by leaking drains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, We are trying to sell my late fathers bungalow. Unfortunately it has a large crack between the kitchen and dining room walls, and also some other small cracks in other walls which we have been told are caused by subsidence as a result of water leaking from drains. We have had the drains surveyed and they are in a bad state, most will be replaced.

However, some of the drain repair companies say we should also have the bungalow underpinned. This seems excessive for a lite, one storey bungalow. All the stuff I have read online regarding leaky drains says the subsidence stops once the drains are fixed.

Some of the drain companies said that as there was no soil in the pipes a lot of soil has been lost, implying further subsidence.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this sort of subsidence? Do we need to underpin or are we being led up the garden path.

Thanks
Mark

Sponsored Links
Hi FMT, Insurance surveyor looked at subsidence before drain surveyors and said all that was needed was probably drain repairs and decoration. I think it will be a protracted process to get them to pay for underpinning, they have said collapse of drains was due to old age and therefore not covered by policy. Haven't thought about building control. I suppose having it signed off by building control would be good for prospective buyers.

Sponsored Links
It's not good it's essential. A prospective buyer who needs a mortgage will not even touch it without. Or to be more precise their mortgage company won't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back