Hansgrohe ibox leaking from cold inlet internally

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

A bit stumped on this one. I have installed a new iBox and there’s a small drip leak from the cold water inlet on the right hand side. Looks like it’s coming from the interior seal, though that doesn’t seem to connect anything and is just from the fascia.

Exterior connection is dry and a compression valve to 15mm plastic pipe with olive.

Any ideas appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4717.jpeg
    IMG_4717.jpeg
    326.5 KB · Views: 110
Sponsored Links
How did you seal the thread on the inlet? PTFE would not be my choice for this. Loctite 55, with the external threads "roughed up" per instructions would be how I'd go.

Thanks for the prompt response!

I did use PTFE tape on the thread yes (for connection from box to compression, I know not to use on the compression side!). I have some Slic-tite heavy duty that I put a very small amount on the tape, should I try this only or buy some Loctite 55?

Edit: guessing buy the Loctite as it’s a cord

1. Remove the connection made with PTFE, clean out the female (IBox) thread.
2. Clean the male thread of all old PTFE.
3. Try the male thread in the IBox. Make a judgement as to whether fit is fairly tight, free or loose. It is just a judgement.
4. Slightly roughen the male thread with a file. Nothing too heavy, just make the surface rough.
5. Wrap the Loctite 55 cord along and around the threads. E.g. hold on the end of the male thread, go straight across the threads to the other end, then wrap round. Rotate 45 degrees and repeat to get a rough equivalent of 10 wraps for a fairly tight fit, 15 for a free fit and 20 for a loose fit.
6. Screw male into female until it feels tight with a 300 mm (length) spanner.
7. If you can't get it tight, repeat 6 after cleaning off old cord with 5 more "wraps" per time,

Sponsored Links
Thanks - this worked! Caught me out because it was leaking into the inside of the box. Also didn’t know that PTFE isn’t the best for these connections.

1. Remove the connection made with PTFE, clean out the female (IBox) thread.
2. Clean the male thread of all old PTFE.
3. Try the male thread in the IBox. Make a judgement as to whether fit is fairly tight, free or loose. It is just a judgement.
4. Slightly roughen the male thread with a file. Nothing too heavy, just make the surface rough.
5. Wrap the Loctite 55 cord along and around the threads. E.g. hold on the end of the male thread, go straight across the threads to the other end, then wrap round. Rotate 45 degrees and repeat to get a rough equivalent of 10 wraps for a fairly tight fit, 15 for a free fit and 20 for a loose fit.
6. Screw male into female until it feels tight with a 300 mm (length) spanner.
7. If you can't get it tight, repeat 6 after cleaning off old cord with 5 more "wraps" per time,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back