Hard wood door frame seals

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys. I've just fitted a new hard wood front door and new frame which I have to say has come out a really good job. With the frame came a set of rubber seals to insert into the pre-cut groove in the frame. I have installed the top one no problem. If I install the hinge side seal the frame is so stressed when I close the door it visibly twists the frame. If I install the lock side seal there is no way I can actually shut the door !!!!
The door is a perfect fit in the frame with what I would say is the correct clearance between door and frame so I can't work it out what is going wrong.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Need to adjust door to fit correctly.If seals cause binding door is fitted too snugly.Lock etc should be fitted after seal to ensure correct fit..

Hi Again. OK so I removed the door today. Fitted the seal and positioned the door back in place to see what sort of fit it will make once adjusted.

The door will sit aprox 4-5 mm proud of the door frame and the Yale night latch won't fit flush. I did check the door frame was suitable for a 44mm thick door when I bought it so have now run out of ideas so any further advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi
Maybe the keeper of the night latch needs to be fitted away of the frame with some sort of packer(should be inside the lock box).
Make sure you have fitted the seals proper way.
Another solution, throw away the seals and fit the brush strip instead?

Sponsored Links
Think I will go for throwing the seal away and either looing for a different one or a brush as you suggested. The door will look terrible if I mount it 4-5 mmm protruding from the frame and the lock will also look bad so I really don't want to go down that path.
Thanks everyone who has responded, eBay here I come :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back