Hardboarding a floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a room that is presently about 40 foot square and has four concrete pillars in the centre, dividing the room in a sort of # shape

We need to cover the floor with hardboard, which will stay down a while, over industrial carpet.
The idea is to use gaffertape underneath the but joins, and tape over the joins at the top.
It will be painted with floor paint eventually

I have tiled before, so know about starting in the middle and spreading out to get any cuts around the perimeter - we would stagger the boards in a brick style pattern

Sound sensible?
Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Neither
The hardboard will be the floor surface- covered with grey paint

Sponsored Links
Won't the hardboard bounce and flex too much.

I'd go with ply, as suggested by dazlight.

Thanks for the replies

It has been done now, with hardboard.
The floor was concrete, with relatively new industrial carpet ontop
They needed to use the room for another purpose for a year or two, so opted for hardboard.
The boards were laid brick bond style, with gaffertape on the underside and a paper type tape on the top joints. It is painted with floor paint

We'll see how it lasts

Thanks for the replies

It has been done now, with hardboard.
The floor was concrete, with relatively new industrial carpet ontop
They needed to use the room for another purpose for a year or two, so opted for hardboard.
The boards were laid brick bond style, with gaffertape on the underside and a paper type tape on the top joints. It is painted with floor paint

We'll see how it lasts

Hardboard has very little tensile strength, it is a smoothing product, not a construction surface or a wear surface.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back