Hardy plants for hanging baskets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not been on this part of the forum before but thought you might be able to help. We have a number of hanging baskets around the property with varying degrees of success, we are at about 500' asl and it can get quite windy here.

We have had success in the past with busy lizzies but they don't seem to be available this year. Pansies are also pretty good unless the weather gets very cold in fact last winters pansies didn't show a decent display until this summer.

I bought some petunias a couple of months ago and they did brilliantly until the temperature dropped and now they look half dead although the ones by the front door which get less wind and more sun are still doing quite well.

The only plants that seem do well in the winter/spring seem to be polyantha's

Can anyone suggest some fairly colourful flowers which will thrive in this locality or what I can do to improve the chances of the ones I have.

Thanks

Peter

Sponsored Links
I'm also in an elevated windy location and experimenting with the hanging baskets. For this coming winter after lots of research, I've got plugs of Bellis Speedstar and Pansy Matrix in the coldframe and for green, cuttings of ivy and grown from seed thyme and oregano. I'm also expecting some cyclamens any day.

Summer baskets have been a bit mixed. Petunias and nasturtiums got blown around too much, ditto for anemones. Dwarf marigolds grown from seed were a triumph (with assiduous deadheading and feeding) along with lobelia (given away free by Homebase - all they needed was a drink!). Compact and sturdy seems to me to be the key for this kind of exposed location.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back