Has a Karcher just destroyed my patio?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My patio is made of the yellow tinged cheap stone effect concrete slabs. They've been getting a bit grim and mud tinged recently due to run off and foot traffic.
Today the other half with the best of intentions borrowed a Karcher and has 'cleaned' the slabs. They now are uniformly concrete grey and look like pumice, what I now assume to be a yellow exterior glaze has gone from them
Other than discolouration which means they no longer match the Portland stone borders is this a bad thing? Will the slabs need resealing are they now damaged or likely to suffer more damage? They look quite brittle and porous now.

Sponsored Links
You can use masonry paint on external slabs, though it will wear away and need periodic re-coating, depending on traffic wear, so once you start, you can never stop.

I think you will just have to get used to the concrete colour.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the slabs are total rubbish. Dye should be fully embedded and not a lick coat in the top 3mm.

A photo would be good and who made the slabs and how long have they been down.

As an aside the karcher did not ruin anything as it is not a sentient being. Unless you have the new karcher HAL 9000

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back