Has my old Mum been ripped off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Mum is 82 and arranged for a particular plasterer to repair and skim her bedroom ceiling (friend of a friend sort of thing). I popped in to see her today and she told me how much he charged. Basically the room is approx 3m x 3m and the plaster (on a concrete ceiling) was cracked straight down the centre of the room and loose along the whole crack. He has masked the walls. Removed 30 to 60 mm either side of the 3m crack to the sound plaster, filled the crack and skimmed the whole ceiling. Around 6 hours I believe. Its a good job and he left the place clean and tidy. She didn't get a price beforehand as he didn't know how much plaster he had to take off. Does £330 sound too much for Surrey/S. London borders. It seems a lot but we havent had any plastering done for 2yrs so maybe it is OK Has she been ripped off? She wants him to do the decorating too so just need to know if I should step in?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Have you calculated the size of the ceiling correctly? It's going to be bigger than 3m2 if one length is 3m long unless its it's only 1m wide but that aside it do seem dear especially if it was a friend of a friend did it include materials?

My Mum is 82 and arranged for a particular plasterer to repair and skim her bedroom ceiling (friend of a friend sort of thing). I popped in to see her today and she told me how much he charged. Basically the room is approx 3m2 and the plaster (on a concrete ceiling) was cracked straight down the centre of the room and loose along the whole crack. He has masked the walls. Removed 30 to 60 mm either side of the 3m crack to the sound plaster, filled the crack and skimmed the whole ceiling. Around 6 hours I believe. Its a good job and he left the place clean and tidy. She didn't get a price beforehand as he didn't know how much plaster he had to take off. Does £330 sound too much for Surrey/S. London borders. It seems a lot but we havent had any plastering done for 2yrs so maybe it is OK Has she been ripped off? She wants him to do the decorating too so just need to know if I should step in?

Dont think he has done her any favours ( as a friend of a friend)
but if its a good job and your mum is pleased with it thats the main thing
She needs to get a price for the decorating though .

Have you calculated the size of the ceiling correctly? It's going to be bigger than 3m2 if one length is 3m long

Sorry yes I meant 3m x 3m ....edited now.

Sponsored Links
Dont think he has done her any favours ( as a friend of a friend)
but if its a good job and your mum is pleased with it thats the main thing
She needs to get a price for the decorating though .

Thanks Bosswhite. I had already got a decorating quote from a decorator but ceiling needed repair first so will see how it compares.

Have you calculated the size of the ceiling correctly? It's going to be bigger than 3m2 if one length is 3m long unless its it's only 1m wide but that aside it do seem dear especially if it was a friend of a friend did it include materials?

Yes included the filling plaster and skim.

It’s not mates rates, but it’s not outrageous either given it’s the South East.

If the price includes the subsequent repaint of the ceiling, then it’s pretty good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back