Have builders left my second floor unsupported?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I'm in a real pickle and would really appreciate some knowledgeable peoples advice.

in the middle of having my spiral staircase replaced with a straight one, which meant the existing hole in the floor/ceiling has needed to be made larger, we've had two builders here for two days now and they have finished with the framework for the hole.

I'm very concerned that what they have done will leave my whole second floor suspended with no support, please see photos

Please bear with me as it's quite hard to explain but the pictures should help!!

Staircase hole

There were 2 8x2 joists bolted together spanning the whole house at the rear going from one side of the house to the other, sat on the brick wall either side which has now been cut (red line) there are 2 more 8x2 joists bolted together running from those initial joists to the front of the house, which gave us the hole for the initial staircase, the builders have cut the two that spanned the house just after this join and have put a single 8 x 2 against this joint (blue line) with one end inside a steel and screwed them together, my feeling is now that my whole second floor is relying on those screws and that single piece of timber which seems awful and while it may be ok for now surely it will sag over time if it is not spanning the whole house?

Just fyi the 2x4's on the ground floor are temporary.

Any help would be really great, thank you.

You can copy and paste pics into your post or use "upload a file."

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Sorry here are the photos!

Attachments

• sXMtTDG.jpg
    sXMtTDG.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 166
  • Ye2cun3.jpg
    Ye2cun3.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 164
Doesn't look good to me at all, I'd have thought a designed steel "repair' plate . What do building control say, I believe it's notifiable work?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back