Have i missed something with this AV?

I dunno martian, in your example I can clearly see that candidate A has won. In the last election for Derby North, the Labour candidate had the majority of votes counted for that area so he won. How would PR have affected the outcome , if the person who wins most of the votes gets elected and how is it different than what we currently have?

PS I'm not winding you up. ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
OK, let's continue with my analogy....candidate A is favourite.... and usually wins DIYnot north.. so many people don't bother voting.... "what's the point", A will win.... it's an 'A' stronghold!

whereas if they all went into a big pot then the absolute winner would win.

This is not about where the votes go, but about those who don't vote, and why they don't vote.

I haven't ever voted in an election.. because? i beileve a democracy gives me the choice not to decide.... plus i despise this voting system!!

I haven't ever voted in an election.. because? i beileve a democracy gives me the choice not to decide.... plus i despise this voting system!!

But you WILL be voting on the AV issue, right?? ;)

From what I can glean of the interwebnetthingy, there's not a great deal of difference between AV and PR anyway, depending upon the system they use. It's still all based on a transferable vote.
I really think the way forward is to make voting compulsory for all registered voters. No excuses. That way we'll always have a 100% turnout and therefore the vote will be a true reflection of the electorate.
We could have the Armed Forces frogmarching OAP's to the polling station. Shift workers would be dragged from their beds/ workplaces to ensure the 100% turnout. Holidays would be banned for the polling day. No booking a flight to Spain in the week an election is taking place.
Yep I reckon this is the way forward.
I'll suggest it to all parliamentary parties. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

PS,,, shouldn't this discussion be in the AV forum ?? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Zat ist a vondervul idea Hair Von Flick. I vill stat to get the devectors rrrounded straight away. :D

Hey wreckedit,,,,, Less of the Hair Von Flick please. The last time I was able to flick my hair is now lost in the sands of time. ;) ;) ;) ;)

imamartian said:
Does any one else know what PR is?

PR is what Nick Clegg should have demanded as the unconditional price for his party's support. Instead he allowed himself to be fobbed off with the rather poor compromise that is AV - and we might not even get that!

Nick Clegg, you let me down again! :mad: :mad: :mad:

From what I can see there is a fundamental flaw in this system. For those that have read the leaflet sent out by the electoral commision, i'll use their system of examples to try and illustrate what i mean.

There are four candiates A, B, C and D. and the 'first choice' votes are counted and give this result:- A 30%, B 29%, C 21% and D 20%. No one has 50% of the votes so D, as he has the lowest %tage of votes, is out and the second choice of his votes are added to the other candidates' 'piles' If all the people that voted D as first choice, voted A as second choice, that gives A 30% of first choice votes and 20% of second choice votes (from 'D's first choice votes) a total of 50% and he wins the election. Why are the second choice votes of A, B and C, ignored?? In the above situation, what happens if everyone that voted A, B and C as first choice, voted D as second choice? That means that A won the election with 30% of first choice votes and 20% of second choice votes, and poor old D came last with 20% of first choice votes and 80% of the second choice votes?

This situation may be unlikely, but it doesn't seem fair to me? I think the voting system needs to change, but i'm not sure AV is the right change?

I've had 4 or 5 anti AV shows on TV, and 2 posted leaflets....but not FOR the AV vote...

The Conservatives are against this, but their TV ad, seems to counteract that, in fact their TV ad, seems to support what they have done, by promising everything, then delivering nothing. It seems like an ad gone bad, as it makes me want to vote for AV more. We promise everything...but deliver nothing, backup by our advert, played on all channels.

Does anyone seriously think that changing the way we vote will make any difference? I,ve been on this planet for almost 50 years now and havn't spotted one politician worth voting for.

I've watched hours of Question time, listened to debates, seen riots, landslide majorities, swings to the left, swings to the right, hung parliaments, expenses scandals, politician sex scandals, politicians going to prison, pointless wars, cash for questions, etc etc.

What makes you think that somehow it's all gonna be put right next month?

Politics is just one big Game and unfortunately we are the pawns.

Does anyone seriously think that changing the way we vote will make any difference? I,ve been on this planet for almost 50 years now and havn't spotted one politician worth voting for.

I've watched hours of Question time, listened to debates, seen riots, landslide majorities, swings to the left, swings to the right, hung parliaments, expenses scandals, politician sex scandals, politicians going to prison, pointless wars, cash for questions, etc etc.

no.. you're missing the point big time..... i have never liked any politiician... but i prefer all of them to a Mugabi or a Gaddaffi.... or a Hitler... at least our mob are remotely accountable...

my problem is how they frig with the voting system to suit their needs... it has to be PR... the highest PROPORTION of the votes gets in power !!

Yes. Because the last Government was always going to be a coalition, Labour had no chance to win, unless a massive landslide to them, never known in history was to happen.

Swing has to stop. Vote for who you like, then the next alternative, throw out the wasters, get some real people into Government.

Sponsored Links
Back