have to fit new pop up plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have to fit a new pop up in the bathroom basin ( its the one you push down to engage & push again to release) it is fitted in a vanity unit so access is restricted. Is there a box spanner available to remove / replace the nut underneath? if so could someone point me to a link so I could buy a cheap one. I have an adjustable spanner & also a pair of pump pliers but there is not enough space to use them. Also I am using a Dudley basin waste seal kit (Screwfix code 8795R) should the soft washer fit inside the sink between the basin & pop up assembly? Any help on these 2 questions would be much apricated.

Thank you for your time.

Brian.

Sponsored Links
Pop up's are the one that have a lever at the back on the tap that you push to pop the plug up - the one you are mentioning is a click clack waste.

Never seen a box spanner the size of a basin waste nut though no doubt you can get them, usually it just a large pair of grips, never had an issue with access the nut though, even in vanity units. With the 'basin mate, then it's usually the black conical washer with taper upwards and then the flat white compression washer and then the wrap around cover then the nut.

Monument - there’s a cheaper one in Toolstation. If you bought decent water pump pliers/grips they’d likely come in handier than that basin waste box spanner though

Thank you both for your reply's, Toolstation have a box spanner which is looking promising code 93000. Still a little confused regarding the seal kit, should there be a washer inside the basin between the basin & the pop up unit, sorry click clack unit.

Thank you for your time,

Brian.

Sponsored Links
should there be a washer inside the basin between the basin & the pop up unit, sorry click clack unit
Not needed, unless you have non integrated overflow (haven't seen one for sale in the past 25 years)

You should be able to just buy a new click-clack mechanism (brass spring loaded fitting) which will unscrew from both the basin drain and mushroom cap.

Unless the drain is broken then no need to change it.

the pop up unit, sorry click clack unit
;)

As suggested, not really, the water seal is created below the waste, not above. That being said the waste should come with washers and a nut anyway and one of them will be a thin washer that will sit in the basin side of the waste.

Reactions: CBW
Thank you all for your reply's, I have it all sorted. The mushroom on the old one kept sticking down so I attempted to unscrew the bolt with the intension of cleaning it, but it sheared off deep down inside, this is why I went for a new one. With regard to the washer inside the sink, I thought that if metal on ceramic when the nut was tightened it would perhaps crack the sink

I have always said that I would marry a plumber next time round, preferably a female:giggle:

Thanks again to all of you,

Brian.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back