Have you ever seen a screw or bolt like this one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Believe it or not this screw/bolt was used to connect a kitchen sink drain to the waste pipe below - that is until the screwhead abruptly sheared off causing a mini flood. The sink was fitted about 10 years ago I think (not that the sink manufacturer can be blamed as waste kits are sold separately).

I have never seen a hollow screw or bolt before, or a modern metal screw/bolt that wasn't made of stainless steel. Was there a run on M12 bolts at the time? It's bizarre.

Attachments

• bolt.jpg
    bolt.jpg
    436.4 KB · Views: 78
Sponsored Links
Is it used to connect the slotted waste or combi waste? If yes, you may need a new kit altogether.

Is it used to connect the slotted waste or combi waste? If yes, you may need a new kit altogether.
It's just a standard combi waste kit. I don't need a new kit. I replaced the screw with a nice solid M12 bolt and it has made a good seal.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Believe it or not this screw/bolt was used to connect a kitchen sink drain to the waste pipe below - that is until the screwhead abruptly sheared off causing a mini flood. The sink was fitted about 10 years ago I think (not that the sink manufacturer can be blamed as waste kits are sold separately).

My double sink waste uses the same hollow screw/bolt. The sink plugs, have a post or peg, which has to go down inside that bolt. If you don't use the sink plugs, I don't suppose the hole through the centre matters much. The originals on mine were plain steel and like yours, rusted through. I then replaced the entire parts with stainless steel versions, which have been fine since.

Sponsored Links
My double sink waste uses the same hollow screw/bolt. The sink plugs, have a post or peg, which has to go down inside that bolt. If you don't use the sink plugs, I don't suppose the hole through the centre matters much. The originals on mine were plain steel and like yours, rusted through. I then replaced the entire parts with stainless steel versions, which have been fine since.

Do you mean you replaced the whole waste kit, or did you find a compatible hollow bolt somewhere?

The sink is actually in my brother's flat. While he's grateful to me that he can now use the sink, he pointed out that can no longer use the sink plug after I replaced the original bolt with a solid one. So yeah, I can now appreciate why the bolt was hollow! But manufacturing the original bolt out of plain steel is simply inexcusable.

I didn't bother, nor expect to be able to find a replacement bolt - I just went to the Plumbcentre and bought two matching new items, they were not expensive.

It does defy belief that any manufacturer would use plain steel anywhere near lots of water.

did you find a compatible hollow bolt somewhere?
Check sizes - they do seem to be available:

....and it does say it's stainless! :)

Check sizes - they do seem to be available:

....and it does say it's stainless! :)
RandomGrinch, you're a genius.

That looks to be exactly the right part. The diameter of 12mm corresponds exactly to the M12 bolt I fitted as a makeshift repair. Thank you!

I'm afraid I can't vouch for a product I haven't tried, but it looks as if it should be ok! Cheaper products may be available from other sellers etc. !!! ;)

Only thing I am not sure about is how to screw in a hollow screw?
The listing mentions fitting with a coin - I've just tried on my sink and a 50p should fit nicely! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back