Header tank wind noise/draught

sdw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My prob is that when it is windy a draught is created in the loft water tank which causes movement on the water surface which is then quite noisy. Is there some way I can reduce/stop this draught coming up the overflow pipe while still allowing it to do its job.

Many thanks.

Additional info: the overflow comes out the side of the house, the wind doesn't blow directly up the pipe but across it (the pipe is east-west but the wind is north-south), I live on a hill so it is frequently windy.

Sponsored Links
Looking at my overflow pipes, they have a 90 degree bend where they come out the roof space and are pointing straight down - at a guess doing this might help with your draught problems, as it would be less likely for the wind to blow along them (just be careful you don't end up with them pointing back towards the house...)

The other thing to check is whether your water level is too high in the tank - as there should be a reasonable distance between the level and the overflow pipe - enough that i wouldn't have thought you'd get a huge amount of noise from a draught coming up along the pipe...

try recutting the the end of the pipe out side at a bit of a angle

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

My 2 overflows have the attached vertically fitted on the end of the pipe to stop the draughts.

GALLERY]

Rico

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back