Hearth and engineered floor conundrum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As our build progresses we have an engineered wood floor to be installed, along with a free standing stove on a slate hearth. At the moment we have the floor screed down. I’ve read and been given conflicting advice as to what we should do in relation to the hearth and so I’d be grateful for the advice of those of you here who have more experience. The options that have been raised are 1. fitting the hearth to the screed prior to installing the floor, mounting the hearth 1mm above where the engineered floor will sit, with a rebate of 20mm to allow the engineered wood floor to be installed beneath this rebate with room left for it to expand. Option 2. Is to mount the hearth directly onto the engineered wood floor once it has been installed. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I've installed exactly one slate hearth so take my advice with a large pinch of salt but I think you're asking for trouble if you try to install it onto the wooden floor. Our slate sits on a bed of mortar on top of a significant concrete sub-hearth and has given us no trouble. The slate needs a solid, permanently flat surface to rest on which the wood wouldn't give it.

Hetas; stoves have one of two ratings for the heat they project from their underside; over 100c and under 100c. Re your query and one of the options- slate over wood- your stove would have to be the sub 100c underside temp, to be sat on slate which is sat on wood.

Stoves that are sub 100c underside temp are not particularly rare. Just worth reading the spec to see if your is/isn't one of them.

If your stove is under 100c underside, then you'll probably be fine sticking the slate down with some fat beads of CT1 (assuming the slate is strong /over an inch thick and that the wooden floor is acclimatised instead, say, being just out of the packet (bone dry) and about to get laid on fresh (damp) screed..

Last point, is probably not going to cause problems- and I am not sure I get your details entirely, but depending on the Hetas person (stickler etc) they might advise that your hearth be more than 1mm above the flooring. The 'change of level' is a feature of the hearth that serves to denote the beginning of the hearth.

I've installed exactly one slate hearth so take my advice with a large pinch of salt but I think you're asking for trouble if you try to install it onto the wooden floor. Our slate sits on a bed of mortar on top of a significant concrete sub-hearth and has given us no trouble. The slate needs a solid, permanently flat surface to rest on which the wood wouldn't give it.
Thanks wobblycogs, any advice is welcome! I did wonder whether sitting the hearth on the wood floor might prevent the floor from being able to expand too.

Sponsored Links
Hetas; stoves have one of two ratings for the heat they project from their underside; over 100c and under 100c. Re your query and one of the options- slate over wood- your stove would have to be the sub 100c underside temp, to be sat on slate which is sat on wood.

Stoves that are sub 100c underside temp are not particularly rare. Just worth reading the spec to see if your is/isn't one of them.

If your stove is under 100c underside, then you'll probably be fine sticking the slate down with some fat beads of CT1 (assuming the slate is strong /over an inch thick and that the wooden floor is acclimatised instead, say, being just out of the packet (bone dry) and about to get laid on fresh (damp) screed..

Last point, is probably not going to cause problems- and I am not sure I get your details entirely, but depending on the Hetas person (stickler etc) they might advise that your hearth be more than 1mm above the flooring. The 'change of level' is a feature of the hearth that serves to denote the beginning of the hearth.
Thanks magiclintel. Our stove is a sub 100c underside one. Sorry I wasn't clear, I wanted to know what the best way to fit the hearth is in relation to the wood floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back