Hearth formation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've repointed and decorated my fireplace, and want to use as a proper open fire again.

However, at present the "floor" of the fireplace is uneven (hardcore I think) and the concrete at the front does not "return" to the sides - I want it to return about 250mm to each side.

Furthermore, the concrete to the front is "flush" with the floorboards - we are having 15mm engineered timber boards put down, hence want to raise the concrete above this, and then tile this and the inside with some slate tiles.

Can anyone suggest the best way to do this? additionally, where the returns would site to the sides of the fireplace, I assume I can't concrete over these - could I put down some MDF to the same height as the concrete to form a level base upon which to tile?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Having done some more research, it looks like a self-levelling compound may be best - I assume this can adhere to the small areas needed on the floorboards?

If I build a little frame to the external of the fireplace using battens (I want an external height of 20mm), I obviously can't do this inside the fireplace - how do i ensure it's all a consistent height?

Use an extra batten across the fire opening, then after the self levelling as set screed the fire base with sand and cement. I assume that you are having some sort of fire surround? it is not possible to have a fire in the opening as is.

Sponsored Links
No, not having a fire surround - going to use as is.

Can I not use the self levelling compound inside the fireplace?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back