Hearth Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Very much a novice so apologies if I'm asking straight forward questions here.

I recently purchased a Victorian Terrace and removed carpets from the living room. The old hearth was damaged so have removed it, now just have amount of earth where it sat. Looking to either buy a replacement hearth, or ideally to tile the area.

Will I need to dig out all the earth, and lay a concrete base before laying the new hearth or tiles? Or is there any other options?

Cheers,

Attachments

• IMG_6544.jpg
    IMG_6544.jpg
    659.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6561.jpg
    IMG_6561.jpg
    422.8 KB · Views: 28
Sponsored Links
The hearth is constructional and will go under the fire opening, so either patch it up and risk damp coming through, or dig it all out and damp proof it under and around the sides and re concrete, there are rules around this to ensure fire safety. Obviously its just been refurbished though by you or the seller. But if there is clear damp that could already have affected the floor joists, it may be you can check further without being too invasive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back