Heat Exchanger for "too cold" drinking water?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The cold mains water supply here is pretty cold all year round, much colder than where I grew up. Most of the family resort to using the hot tap for drinking water, causing the combi boiler to kick in, burn gas, then cut off before any hot water even reaches the tap. But it's just enough to get room temperature drinking water.

I'd really like to cut down on the boiler wear & tear and wasted gas.

Several years ago I installed a small drinking tap in the kitchen with microbore tubing and a charcoal filter, which nobody ever used of course. What I'd like to do is add to it some sort of heat exchanger. Something like a couple of meters of microbore copper tightly coiled using a pipe bender, and either fed through a container of water or just exchanged with the air (if that would be sufficient).

Does something similar already exist?

An easier option might be to buy a heat exchanger (brand new, boiler spare part), but I'm not convinced that would be safe to use for drinking water?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Buy a Brita filter jug and use that for your drinking water. It'll warm up to room temperature as it sits on the side.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back