Heat not getting past circulating pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Potterton 50 gas boiler, sealed system, central heating and hot water cylinder. Timer controlled.

Had to shut the electric off to fix a motorised valve. Afterwards found the pressure was zero, and no hot water flowing past the circulator pump.

Filled the system back up to around 1 bar, bled off air from both the circulator pump and an air release above the boiler. Tried bleeding the radiators but just cold water.

Circulator pump heats up, but nothing downstream.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
It hadn't been when I last tried (rotated reasonably freely), but I gave it a good spin with my fingers and it just kept on going! Pipes seem to be warming, could be good!

Sponsored Links
U need a new pump the capacitor is knackered. The capacitor gives the pump a kick to start it, then the motor keeps it spinning, u have started it manually, it will probably fail when it cools down .

U need a new pump the capacitor is knackered. The capacitor gives the pump a kick to start it, then the motor keeps it spinning, u have started it manually, it will probably fail when it cools down .

No, he needs a new capacitor to put in the pump - much cheaper than a new pump ;)

My short-lived joy was limited. It actually stops after about 5-10 seconds. Can re-start it each time, but stops pretty quickly. Blockage?

Just tried turning the central heating motorised zone valve to 'flushing' and now the circulator pump spins fine and stays on. What the hell?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back