Circulating pump keeps running

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think that there is a problem with my hot water system, with the central heating off should the circulating pump continue to run :?:
I would appreciate any advice.

Sponsored Links
More information please, in particular what is the make and model of your boiler.

Sponsored Links
of couse it will run if you have hot water on (if its a fully pumped system)!! :)
Not continuously - which is what the OP's question implies. In any case we did not know what system the OP had; but now we do!

WWKD said:
Glow worm economy combi model E50
Don't have any info on this boiler; but my guess is that the over-run thermostat/timer is faulty.

Hello Everyone,

I am a newbie to the forum so apologies for adding my problem to this thread.
I have a similar problem where the central heating circulation pump run intermittently for hours. The system configuration is as follows:
Vaillant EcoTec Plus 435 condensing boiler (the DHW is set to off on the boiler)
Vaillant VR66 Control Centre (with E-Bus)
Vaillant V-Smart wireless room thermostat
S type system configuration for DHW and central heating.
Hot water cylinder with immersion heater connected to a 230V wall switch and a Honeywell L641A1005 cylinder thermostat.
Honeywell V4043H1106 zone vales (x2) (One for DHW and one for central heating)
Boiler pump over run is set to 20 minutes.

During the day when the central heating is running the DHW zone valve remains off and only the central heating zone valve opens when the room thermostat calls for heat. However, at night when the room thermostat is set to 10 degrees Celsius (typical night time setting for my home), the DHW zone valve energises and the circulation pump runs constantly (even though the DHW is set to off on the boiler). I believe Vaillant boiler has default DHW priority heating but if the DHW is set to off on the boiler, I do not understand why the DHW zone valve is energised and the circulation pump runs constantly. The pump over run is set to 20 minutes but the circulation pump runs for hours.

The same problem occurred with the previous Baxi condensing boiler. Therefore, I believe one of the other components in the in the central heating or DHW system is causing the problem. I noticed in VR66 Control Centre manual advises the DHW cylinder thermostat should be normally open. I inspected the configurate of the Honeywell cylinder thermostat and is currently configured in the normally closed position. However, I have tried disconnecting the cylinder thermostat from the control centre but the DHW zone valve still opens intermittently at night and the circulation pumps runs for hours.
I would appreciate any guidance on what could be the cause of this fault.

You have just Hi-jacked a 16 year old post against site rules, please start your own post if you want the correct advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back