Heated Towel Rail on DHW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1950's flat with DHW system for water and heating.

Hi All

I'm renovating a flat in central London for a relative. It needs gutting and the next task is ripping out the bathroom. The strange thing is there is no seperate system for heating.

The DHW pipes (4" steel) simply loop around the bathroom, kitchen and airing cupboard providing background heating. Even the lounge works on the same basis except someone has fitted 2 radiators to produce more heat. This isn't allowed according to the Management company but they're not aware as they're hidden behind the original metal grills which have vents that you open and close to (partially) control the heat. I'm guessing the DHW is constantly heated and pumped so its available on demand (or at least within certain hours of the day).

I've had the valves replaced as they were shot which now means the steel pipework in the bathroom and airing cupboard is redundant and the areas unheated. I'm reluctant to have electric radiators/towel rails installed as they'd have to be done by a Part P installer and in central London the P means Pricey!

I want to use push-fit re-plumbing the bathroom so is it possible to simply plumb in a heated towel rail to the DHW system.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Simon

Sponsored Links
Great reply - makes the effort of all that typing so worthwhile!!

ok you could fit a brass or copper radiator to the hotwater circuit providing it is a secondary circulation not a leg. cant imagine the management would be happy :cry: you could (will) end up causing yourself or whosever flat it is a load of TROUBLE. i personaly wouldnt contemplate it.

Sponsored Links
end of the day. a decent towel rad say stainless, woulds be ok as its an active dead leg. as long as the materials you are using are ok lets say you made a towel rad out of copper, why not.just watch out for electrolitic corrosion.dont forget many old systems still around used heat sink rads on direct cylinders.there still out there.bit drunk now. so this may not make sense just let us know :p .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back