Heater fan on Astra

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Heater controls on Astra 1997ish.
I hear it's a common problem for the heater control to play up.
I have 3 and 4 working but nothing on 1 and 2 is it a simple fix?

Sponsored Links
Hi Prenticeboy
this is usually a faulty resistor pack. easy to fix just a bugger to get to as it it is situated behind the dash. if you have a haynes manual it may tell you in there how to replace.

Sorry for delay, I'd give up on a reply.
Thanks for reply will need to purchase manual if can not find it in the stuff that came with motor.
Another little problem is that when I put the head or side lights on, the dispaly for time/date and temp dims right down as does the display for speed clock/oil/water etc...
I've been told this could be the alternator but if I rev up the light is still dim on the dispaly.
Any ideas?

.....Another little problem is that when I put the head or side lights on, the dispaly for time/date and temp dims right down as does the display for speed clock/oil/water etc...
I've been told this could be the alternator but if I rev up the light is still dim on the dispaly.
Any ideas?

That's not a fault sir, it's a facility. It's supposed to reduce the glare from the instrument panel at night.

There's usually some means of adjusting the amount of dimming. older cars often had a thumbwheel on the side of the steering column.

Sponsored Links
If it is the older style astra (which i think it would be ) if i remember correctly the heater fan resistor is accesible from under the bonnet, you may have to remove the scuttle panel, (the plastic piece under the wiper blades, remove both wiper arms) only a couple of screws hold the resistor in place i think, (easiest way is get a new one, dealer part only i would think, and you'll be able to see what's involved)

The dash lights as mentioned above may have an adjuster possibly situated by the headlight switch (but i'm sure this was only on the newer model astra)

The thing is it used to work but now doesn't, so not some about the anti-glare thing? and it's not visible it dims right down and can't make out the time.
Maybe by accident I've adjusted it if that's possible?
But I'm sure last week it didn't work on one part of the journey, then worked, then didn't and hasn't since.

Back