Heating and Water Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Hope anyone can give some advice

I am going away for a few weeks during winter.
And Have the traditional F&E system Two Tanks in the loft One large Cold and the Small CH one

I was thinking to switch off the main of the water from outside In case of any leaks etc. but was thinking of leaving the heating on to frost protection mode.

Is this a Good Idea?
I am not going to drain the main loft tank down, but would switching off the mains supply effect the heating at all? (NOT HOT WATER - going to off that) any advice would be great
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Turning off the water is a good idea and will not affect your heating. Set the controls to maintain a temp to avoid freezing. Some recommend partially opening the loft hatch. Make sure your tanks are insulated.

Turning off the water is a good idea and will not affect your heating. Set the controls to maintain a temp to avoid freezing. Some recommend partially opening the loft hatch. Make sure your tanks are insulated.
Thanks for the quick reply

Yes I have a converted loft so I will leave the loft door open, I have added pipe lagging to the pipes in the loft to some areas, but some pipes are close together and cannot be lagged and have also insulated the loft tanks.

So then it should be ok to off the Main water and leave Central heating

Thanks

Reason I asked is saw this article re F &E Tanks.

So for short trips away – say, two or three weeks – most people no longer turn off the water. In winter, it is a good idea to leave the central heating running to prevent frozen pipes, but if you have a traditional heating system, with an f&e (“feed and expansion”) tank in the loft, then you should leave the mains water connected. Otherwise you risk the f&e tank running dry.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...ter-off-at-the-mains-while-Im-on-holiday.html

Sponsored Links
If your fe tank is set with a water level of approximately 10-12 cms depth then it will not evaporate. Then, having said that, the Telegraph is well known for its plumbing expertise

If your fe tank is set with a water level of approximately 10-12 cms depth then it will not evaporate. Then, having said that, the Telegraph is well known for its plumbing expertise

Ok
Just one quick question forgot to ask, I don't need to empty the tank out if I turn off the Mains water. It just as a precaution. Is it ok to leave the tank as it is. The cold water that is, I know the small Tank is for the heating radiator system and wont touch as I will leave the heating on.

Sorry to be clumsy.

Thanks

There is no need to drain any tanks.

Ok Thanks, Just another quick question

I will of the mains supply which is located outside, Also would i need to switch of the Stop Cock which is a 15mm looks like a tap (located inside the house) upstairs in a boxed enclosure, which is connected to the mains and fills the Main tank. Is it ok to switch Both of the off?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back