Heating Design

Is 16 zones not enough? All handled by one Hometronic manager.

None of our customers has yet asked for more, and we do installs in some serious big piles.

Cripes, as Boris says........

Sponsored Links
stem, I'd like to understand how you controlled the system you installed for your parents? Also, how did you calculate energy savings to determine there weren't any?

In the kitchen is a bank of 3 position "grid switches" one for each room. In the top position the input is from the programmer (originally there were two time switches one for bedrooms and one for living rooms. As Agile suggested my parents retired 15 years ago, so only one programmer now) The bottom position of the switch is "on" regardless of the timeswitch, and off is in the centre. Each switch is connected to a dial thermostat in the associated room (except the bathroom which has an internal dial which can only be adjusted by removing the cover) connected to the appropriate motorised valve.

The motorised valves all contain microswitches, these were connected to a permanent live supply on one side to provide a switched live on the other for the boiler.

Back in the 1980's gas use wasn't quite the issue it is now, but my mother keeps her bills for a few years and simply compared the units used over a few years before and after the change. Not an accurate science I agree. She thinks there was a slight improvement but nothing earth shattering, unlike when cavity wall insulation was installed some years later.

I'd still like to pursue my original plans in the future, so I'll lay copper suitable for the original zone system I had in mind. Having looked at what's on the market and current costs, I think I can live with TRVs for a while.

I'd like my TRVs to last and work well, with an option to have them completely shut off the water supply to the radiator should I need it. Any recommendations on specific makes and models?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back