Heating problem radiators downstairs don't come on!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently moved into a rented house. With it being summer we have only just looked at the heating and when we turn it on only the upstairs radiators come on. Not very technical myself but it is a water tank in one of bedrooms with a control for the water and heating in there as well. Is this something we are doing wrong or do I need the landlord out. Better ask now so we have heat for winter the speed they get things done haha

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I would have thought the landlord is your best bet as (s)he would be likely to know how the system works or if it doesn't then they are there to get the repair sorted right away.

A lot more info would be needed before anyone here would be able to advise.

If you turn all the upstairs rads off do the downstairs ones heat up? If not the system could be zoned, so you might have a seperate thermostat for upstairs and downstairs. As you are renting I would just tell the landlord your problem and then it is his responsibility to fix it

Ok it's got a grundfos super electric pump...

None of the radiators can be turned on or off the white knobs on them do not turn. We asked the landlord how heating n water worked when first moved in but she didn't know which is a little odd to me...

I'll ring em n ask thanks for the replies was just wondering

Sponsored Links
Use an adjustable spanner and turn the valves off by turning the spindle on the lockshields clockwise after you have removed the white caps. Then turn the heating back on and it should clear what sounds like an air-lock; there will be some gurgling noises then hey presto.

If that doesn't work, time for a plumber.

Sorry but this is the landlord's problem and you should not be messing with it, especially if you have no knowledge of plumbing or the system setup. Insist (s)he gets it sorted asap

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back