Heating set up questions.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just moved house and the new place has an EcoTech plus 624 boiler and a Megaflo CL145 water tank. It is all controlled by Hive. I have a few random questions regarding the set up if anybody can help.

1. The system feeds into 3 way motorised valve, which is located by the boiler. Upstairs the Megaflo has a Danfoss 2 port valve fitted on the input side of the heating coil, with a Honwell 2 port valve fitted on the return line. Is this correct? In addition the flow arrow on the return Honeywell valve body is pointing back at the cyclinder.

2. The hot water and heating knob are both turned fully up on the boiler. Is this correct?

3. The boiler won’t fire up for hot water even though the system is calling for it, unless the heating dial is turned up......?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Get a boiler engineer in that is qualified (G3/UVHW) to look at the setup of the unvented hot water cylinder. The 2 port valve theoretically could be installed on the return from the coil if there isn't space on the flow but it does need to be installed correctly and should be separately controlled, as a safety backup.

He should also be able to set the boiler up correctly for your specific system.

I hope these help. Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 132
  • DA80D309-CB9E-495D-8EE7-FB5C43E106C8.jpeg
    DA80D309-CB9E-495D-8EE7-FB5C43E106C8.jpeg
    179 KB · Views: 106
  • E84FE7CB-409D-459E-BF26-7DF5D329314C.jpeg
    E84FE7CB-409D-459E-BF26-7DF5D329314C.jpeg
    191.4 KB · Views: 106
  • CBDDA23D-8054-4ECD-BC74-54B07C46FF46.jpeg
    CBDDA23D-8054-4ECD-BC74-54B07C46FF46.jpeg
    287.3 KB · Views: 107
Sponsored Links
Any ideas that I can try before calling out a heating engineer?

Not really ... if the 2 port valve on the return from the cylinder coil is on back to front then that needs changed for a starter

hard to tell from the pics though ... it almost looks as if you have a 3 port valve (pic 4) and 2 2 port valves (pic 1)?, so there may be zones set up too.

I'd advise getting someone in to identify how the system is set up and what may be wrong, nothing really DIY'able there I don't think.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

You are right, pic 4 is the 3 port valve under the boiler. Pic 1 is from the airing cupboard showing the 2 x 2 port valves. One on the input line to the boiler heating coil, with the second on the exit.

I will get on and call somebody out.

If you have a 3 port valve and 2x 2 port valves that are just on the primaries to and from the coil of the HW cylinder then that's a little confusing, the one on the inlet side of the Hw primary is part of the safety system for the unvented cylinder, why there is a second one on the outlet is a little strange but hard to tell why looking at it online.

Yep, best to get an unvented qualified CH engineer in.

Let us know the outcome please, you do need 1 x 2 port zone valve as an additional safety device, when installed with a 3 port valve, are you sure you dont have some sort of zone control where the downstairs heating can be on without the upstairs coming on ? do you have 2 room thermostats ?

As far as I am aware, I don't have dual zone heating. The lady we bought the property from doesn't know either. The only thermostat we have is the Hive stat. There is a lot of wires going all over the place prior to going into the Hive receiver, with even more random wires left hanging. I will post a pic in about 30 mins when I get home.

Thanks for all the help so far.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back