Heating system issues open vented

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi not sure if anyone can help. I have just moved into a new house and had my hot water tank replaced to a modern equivalent to give me main pressure hot water. The problem I have is that my system seems to keep creating a lot of air which is tripping my boiler out. The house used to have a conventional indirect hot water tank with hot loop going to it via 3 port valve and now the arrangement is in theory the same.
The heating loop is all open vent which I am not used to with teh F&E tank in the loft area. I believe the system was working correctly but I cannot be sure of it. Reading as much as possible i think that the location of where the F&E tank is feeding into the loop coupled with the pump position is probably giving me problems. My plumber basically wants to keep trying things and "see if it works" which I am not keen on.

What I need to know is if the piping is not in a traditional manner then where would be the best place for the pump and F&E tank filler point.

All rads (18 off) are now new, boiler is 4 years old with seperate pump, tank is a glendale stainless lite unit so everything is pretty much new apart from the pipework.

So here goes.

My boiler feeds into the system via pump on the primary side in 22mm to a 3port valve. At this point the heating loops go to ground and first floor as required. From the other port on the valve the heating loop goes upstairs to the new tank. Its only at this point on the first floor that the F&E tank is connected to the loop that feeds the tank via 1x 15mm pipe. The 15mm pipe goes to the the F&E tank and is Teed off to create the overflow also. The pipe flow continues into the tank via 2 port valve returns to the system.

In literature that im reading the F&E tanks are shown to feed into the system before the pump however this is impossible with the layout of the house. So my question is 1 is it ok that the F&E tank is feeding into the loop for the tank only especially as this loop only becomes live when call for hot water is on? If not then where should it be on the flow or return?
2 do I need to move the pump onto the return leg if necessary?
I have checked Pump direction, loss of water on my system and flow/return on the tank etc so I m clean out of ideas.
My plumber seems to think that as it was ok before then it should be ok now…
Is my other option to change the system to a sealed system?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back