C Plan CH/HW - Vent?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having recently moved house, the pump on the central heating packed up over the weekend, so this prompted me to try and understand our inherited central heating/hot water system better.

It looks to be a C-Plan set up to me, with a pump on the central heating circuit and a separate flow/return from the boiler to the hot water cylinder.

Having turned off the supply to the F&E tank in the loft to allow the system to be drained down to replace the pump, it suddenly struck me that the F&E tank has a snug fitting lid and no obvious vent pipe.

Looking at the hot water cylinder, one connection from the boiler has a T which I assume is to the feed, the other is just straight into the boiler. Does this mean there is no vent on the HW coil? ..is a vent needed? Couldn't the system just vent back through the supply from the F&E tank?

..part of my reason wondering this, is that shortly after moving in, I discovered that the F&E tank ball valve was stuck and the tank split. I got a guy in to replace the tank, but am now wondering if he's just cut off the vent somewhere or if there never was one in the first place. I presume the vent should be into the F&E as opposed to out an overflow or into the cold water cistern?

Sponsored Links
if the boiler has a overheat thermostat you can use a 22mm single feed this acts as the vent and feed

if the boiler has a overheat thermostat you can use a 22mm single feed this acts as the vent and feed

Aha! The 'T' into the hot water cylinder is definitely 22mm. When you say that can act as both a vent and a feed, does that mean there should still be an open vent, or is the 22mm pipe running into the bottom of the F&E tank sufficient?

Probably a silly question, but how could I tell if the boiler has an overhead thermostat? there's nothing obviously bolted to either the tank or the boiler that would look like a thermostat to me...

What boiler, make and model, do you have, one of us is likely to know if it has an overheat 'stat.

Sponsored Links
It's an Ideal Standard E Type, I believe a RS 60N.
I feel compelled to go and check the cold water cistern now, but does the same principle apply to the CH side of the circuit.. can a combined vent/feed be used?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back