Vented CH problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, recently moved house and it has an open vented system with f/e tank in loft. Had an issue with the f/e tank overflowing with hot water and cold spots on rads. Drained system down and added sentinel X400, overflow seems to have stopped and radiators are becoming a bit better than they where.

When system is on it sounds as if there is water running into cylinder in cupboard, the water is not coming from the f/e tank which is full during running but not overflowing. When central heating is shut down then the cylinder fills as normal from the f/e tank and seems as if it does for a good few mins. To me it seems as if cylinder when running is at a low level and there is a return of hot water trickling back into it?

I don't have much experience with this system so any help would be appreciated. My next step was to drain flush and then remove the worst affected rads and flush with a hose.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I am sorry but your description does not make any sense.

The F&E tank only supplies the heating system.

When cold there should only be about 100 mm depth of water.

When system is hot the water will rise a little and perhaps to 150 mm.

It should never be hot!

No water should ever come out of the vent pipe which should be bent over at least 450 mm above the water level.

The vent pipe should always be terminated above the highest water level so above the over flow connection.

Tony

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

Sorry my description ain't that clear I'm not a plumber and not used to this type of system.

Basically when heating is on i can hear what sounds like running water in the hot water cylinder.

When I put the heating off the f/e tank then starts supplying water to the heating but while the heating runs the f/e sits quite happily at a steady level and does not top up.

I don't know if the issues are related as I'm not sure of the system.

Thanks.

Can you comment on water levels in F&E than?

In mm of course!

Tony

Sponsored Links
I'd say it's within the 100-150mm between starting the system from cold to running. But as soon as heating is off it empties and starts filling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back