rising water in F & E tank, rising blood pressure too

You could try draining down your CH and disconnect the pipework from either end of the coil to see if any water continues to run out. If it does then another faulty coil (seek compensation from manufacturer for effort wasted), if not at least you have ruled out one possibility.

Did you try this. let's know the result

Sponsored Links
jobloggs said:
If you switch the pump on this will increase the pressure in the coil particularly if you have a restriction on the return to the boiler. The additional pressure in the coil due to the pump MAY overcome the difference in the water levels and reverse the flow causing the F&E to draw down and the HWT to fill up and perhaps overflow if taps/flush is not being used. However pump will not run continuously as the controls will switch it off when the stats are satisfied.

Are you saying that water from the heating system would flow out of the coil and into the HW cyl ? If this was the case the HW would be discoloured ( it isn't) and the water would also travel back up the HW Cyl feed pipe into the CW tank ( it isn't )

If I removed the pipework from the coil after draining the heating system would a leak still be apparent if it was a tiny pinhole ??

I know it all points to a hole in the coil but I'm 100 % the coil in the new cyl was sound when it was fitted. :confused:

its more likely that the potable water from the main tank will push into the coil and come up in to the feed and expansion tank

I agree with you very unlikley to be the new cylinders coil, but stranger things have happened

I said MAYflow from F&E toCWT under certain conditions. Depends on difference in water level and the extra head in the coil when the pump is on.

If your CWT is in the loft and your cyl is a floor below that then when you drain the water out of the coil the several feet of head should show up a pinhole etc.

You had a noticeable flow into the F&E when the head difference was only that between the level in the two tanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi Its not something as simple as your cylinder thermostat set to high the hotter the water gets more expansion??or since power flushing them you proberbaly had to put more water in the system than was in before (sludge) more water heated more expansion?? F+e tanks are installed to allow a 4% expansion of the total water in your system.
have you tried lowering the water level in the cistern

Corgiman.

Its not apparent from this post but he posted previously saying that the first new cyl he fitted had to be returned as it had a faulty coil. Could be manafacturer produced a faulty batch and he has got another one.

Nickey. Ithink he said that problem happened when heating was off.

I didnt read that joe

yes if you brought it from the same place then joe is right

and I am a divvy for not reading the post fully :oops:

jobloggs said:
If your CWT is in the loft and your cyl is a floor below that then when you drain the water out of the coil the several feet of head should show up a pinhole etc.

I understand what you are saying but a bit loathed to do it as the connections to the coil are awkward to get at and the lower connection is a b****r as you have to remove a small length of pipe to get it out. I don't fancy trying to get that back in place in a hurry if gallons of water are pouring out at a fair rate of knots. ( wife said no way is that happening ) :cry:

nickyboy33 ....... water level in the F&E tank is only 1" above the supply outlet to the CH system when the ballcock valve shuts ( bent the arm down previously ) so there is approx 12" of expansion room before it reaches the overflow .
The water level in the F&E tank rises when the CH & HW are OFF , so it can't be expansion ( no water being heated or pumped anywhere )

so no chance of capping off the primaries to the cylinder to see if it is the coil before you rip it out again is there?

it may be worth it

who am i kidding I dont know :LOL: :oops:

how about u turn the stop cock off and see what the levels in the f and e and cws do. will one lower and the other gain height ?

how long has this been happening ?

did u do some fancy pipework just before this problem occured ?

JPC said:
how about u turn the stop cock off and see what the levels in the f and e and cws do. will one lower and the other gain height ?
how long has this been happening ?
did u do some fancy pipework just before this problem occured ?

Jamie... I take it you mean the stop cock on the mains that feeds the CW tank ? I will go into the loft tonight and try that and leave it overnight ( so there will be no chance of anyone using any water ) and measure them in the morning.

Problem started approx 3 weeks ago ( I have a BG homecare 100 plan :oops: called them out and they sent a young kid who spent more time phoning a friend than looking at my system , he said the prob was blocked pipes and suggested a power flush - thought this was daft as all rads working fine & HW fine too.

Not done any pipework ( fancy or not ) ever in this house , been here 5 years and all was good til now with the exception of 1 leaky rad about 3 years ago.

corgiman said:
LMAO

thats unusual for BG when all else fails blame sludge :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Wot does LMAO mean :?: I am sitting here laughing at your sarcasm ( my sense of humour too )

corgiman .... the wife is now LHAO as she got it straight away ( she still has the hump about the heating prob though ) :LOL: :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back