Heating system pump just pumping continuously

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Worcester Greenstar Ri (about 5/6 years old)
Honeywell Programmer & room stat
Motorised valve - Honeywell
Pump - Grundfos

I have an issue where both HW and CH can be off on the timing programmer and yet the pump remains on (as soon as the boiler is powered up).
The only way to stop the circulating is to turn the boiler off. Turning both HW or CH off at the controller doesn't seem to stop it at all.
HW is working fine, both activating and deactivating on timed control. I haven't tried the Hot water side yet (A little nervous to do so)
I have just bought the property, the boiler is in the garage which is connected to the house. A neighbour who was looking after the property said he couldn't get hot water on a few occasions (I can get more info from him when I see him, which is not very often)

Any help gratefully received.
Tony

Sponsored Links
Was it ever working any other way?

Might have been hotwired by some plumbing loon in the 1st place.

1st check may be to see if the pump is wired from the boiler. (See the boiler manual)

Was it ever working any other way?

Might have been hotwired by some plumbing loon in the 1st place.

1st check may be to see if the pump is wired from the boiler. (See the boiler manual)
I have only just bought the property, so I wouldn't know how it has been wired, and whether correctly or incorrectly.

I have only just bought the property, so I wouldn't know how it has been wired, and whether correctly or incorrectly.
Worth getting a plumber in to do a full system check and service?

Sponsored Links
Is the boiler also running,burning gas ,or just the pump running ?

Is the boiler also running,burning gas ,or just the pump running ?
The boiler is working fine.
But when it is just powered up and nothing has been requested on the programmer, the pump is going constantly upstairs in the airing cupboard for no apparent reason.

My question was ,.....as well as the pump running is the boiler also at work ? Or is boiler idle ?

My question was ,.....as well as the pump running is the boiler also at work ? Or is boiler idle ?
When the Honeywell controller is in OFF position for both HW or CH, the boiler is not igniting (which is correct).
As soon as the boiler is powered up the pumping begins on the main circuit (Controller still set at HW Off and CH Off).
After a CH cycle the boiler does seem to be cutting in and out from a pumping point of view, and occasionally there is a clicking noise, this is what I hear when I'm standing in front of it, meanwhile the system is continuing to circulate. Whether this is being driven by the Motorised valve/Controller/Room Stat or boiler I don't know.

What do you mean by "as soon as the boiler is powered up " ?
If the programmer ( Honeywell) is in OFF mode for both Ch and hot water ,what are you doing to " power up" the boiler ?

What do you mean by "as soon as the boiler is powered up " ?
If the programmer ( Honeywell) is in OFF mode for both Ch and hot water ,what are you doing to " power up" the boiler ?
Literally turning the boiler on, is enough to set the pumping cycle off.

So you are turning the boiler on at the boilers internal on/ off switch ,as opposed to any external control or switch ?

So you are turning the boiler on at the boilers internal on/ off switch ,as opposed to any external control or switch ?
Yes the boilers internal ON/OFF switch. This is enough to set the pumping in motion.

Ok ,then turning the boiler off by its internal on/ off switch stops the pump ?
If so, and the Boiler itself isn't firing up / burning gas, it sounds like the boiler has a fault ,probably it's PCB, and you will need an engineer to attend , confirm/ diagnose ,and repair.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back