Heating the Hall a waster of oil/money? What is your view?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Question for those heating experts and anyone who wants to give it a go at answering my doubts.

I have a single panel single convector in the hall. My hall is narrow and standard length but l feel this radiator struggles to get the hall/stair to a warm temperature. I’ve read in some forums that hall is not a living area and therefore people do not put too much heating efforts (money) in heating it but at the same time we use the hall to go to the kitchen, downstairs loo and upstairs.

Would anyone recommend to replace that single convector for a double one? Or I would be throwing oil/money away heating the hall/stairs area?

Also note that I am planning to put a room thermostat in the hall.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Sponsored Links
Before you put the bigger rad in - fit the roomstat and see how the system performs ;)

If the Hall rad is undersized and never achieves the design temperature.
It is pointless fitting a room stat in there. It will always be calling for heat.
It could be 15° in the Hall and 22° + in the lounge with the stat set at 20°
I prefer to fit them in the living area which is occupied.

If the Hall rad is undersized and never achieves the design temperature.
It is pointless fitting a room stat in there. It will always be calling for heat.
It could be 15° in the Hall and 22° + in the lounge with the stat set at 20°
I prefer to fit them in the living area which is occupied.

The thing is that I have an insert stove in the living room. Kitchen I was told not to put it there are while cooking room temperature raises so I was left out with the hall as only possible place.
Would you still fit it in the living room even though there is an insert stove?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back