Oil fired central heating - oil consumption

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an average sized detached house with oil fired central heating. 14 years old, so presumably has cavity wall insulation and clearly has reasonable thickness of roof insulation.
It has always been hard to heat, especially the kitchen, which is the largest room in the house, has three external walls and a north facing back door. It has one small double radiator under the front window and one small single at the other end.
Most of the time our oil consumption is reasonable, but the last two weeks have been horrendous. With the heating on for 6 hours per day and the hall thermostat at only 16 or 17 degrees, we are going through 100 litres of oil per week.
Given that I suspect that the boiler is firing the system for all of those six hours each day, (because the very cold hall never reaches 16 or 17 degrees in this very cold weather we are having and only has a very small single radiator by the front door and one tiny single radiator on the landing), I guess that's about right. I think the boiler consumes more than 2 litres/hour. so 12 litres per day, 84 per week plus a bit more at weekends I guess.

My questions are: Can I reasonably assume that if we just can't get the house warm (radiators are all perfectly hot) that the builder has just put in too few/too small radiators?

Does anyone else experience this enormous leap in oil (or gas) consumption when the ambient temperature drops significantly?

One other thought. The boiler is in the garage - so the froststat is probably cutting in - how much oil is consumed keeping the boiler itself warm? Would it run all night or just a few times sporadically?

Sponsored Links
We have a large old house (cool in summer, v cold in winter), 3 beds, and a Worcester Danesmoor 26/32 rated by Sedbuk at 85% efficiency.

It's hard to measure oil consumption but I recon we use around 12.5 litres a day, 85-90 a week. (We have just had a new tank fitted with an electronic gauge marked in tenths, so we might be able to monitor the use more accurately.)

Someone on these forums with an oil Aga was using 25 litres a day, which might help you feel a little better.

I haven't noticed any increase of oil consumption, we normally have the heating on twice a day, and we boost comfort with a wood burner.

The roomstat is set around 18 - 20 deg, but we don't have a frost stat. Judging by the frost setting on the radiator TRVs they come on when the temp is low (5 deg?) and not yet freezing, so you may be using some oil this way.

I think our boiler uses 3 litres an hour, but it doesn't of course run continuously. It takes 30 mins to heat up from cold, how long does yours run before reaching temp?

The price of oil makes you monitor these things more closely now.

That's about all I can think of. Rgds.

Oh yes, the boiler is on from 6 to 9 in the morning, and 4:30 to 10:30 in the evening. That's 9 hours a day.

Employ a good heating engineer, get him to heatloss rooms and check rad sizes are correct, then total them up plus dhw to find boiler output, check burner is set to correct output for system.
Your frost stat needs to be wired with a pipe stat to stop boiler running for longer than needed, ask your engineer about any cost effective ways to save fuel on your system.
If you want to DIY put 18" of fibreglass in your loft, this will make a big difference and pay back fairly quickly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back