Oil heating consumption

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have thermostat in the hall and we are in house almost all day every day so what setting should I set the oil boiler to?

I set it to the lowest as the heating always run all day and also that we have the solid walls with single glazed windows. But I was thinking that maybe it is best to set the boiler to high or medium (maybe at its most efficient setting?) and have it controlled by thermosat in the hall?

I was thinking that the oil boiler at its lowest setting, may not run efficiently because it would stop running after a short time heating up and then to resume again a short time later rather than continuing running at max setting and let it run entirely by thermosat in the hall? I may be wrong in my understanding with the running of oil boilers but please correct me if I'm wrong. :D

Due to the recent weather (In Northern Ireland), I have just used up almost 1000 litres of oil in under 3 months from September although we live in quite large detached house in remote area. I don't know if that consumption is normal but any improvement would be a welcome!

Sponsored Links
sorry but only you know what temperature you want your house to be at

It's normally set around 19 C during the day, sometimes to 20 C if feeling too cold. Set 16-17 during the evening.

But I have noticed that even with boiler set to its lowest level, the heating can be still warm in cold snaps and hot water is still hot, not lukewarm as you would normally expect from boiler with lowest setting? Does that mean something isn't right with the boiler?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back