Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Boiler make: Potterton 'NETAHEAT'
All rads bar one have thermostat controls
6 rads upstairs/5 rads downstairs
System is approx 17yr old

I have a problem every now and then where my heating comes on upstairs great but not downstairs. To get around the problem I turn off the rads upstairs and stop and start the CH and the downstairs rads burst into life. I then turn on the rads upstairs.

The rad in the living room has been a problem usually heating up at the top and not so much at the bottom. Saying that I have just had the upstairs/downstairs problem once more and after following the aforesaid procedure the living room rad is now hot at the top and warm on the bottom.

I have had a couple of other problems of late in which I had boiling hot water all the time and to remedy this I have had the water pump replaced and then the motorised valve as it was apparent it was stuck in mid position.

I have seen a few posts on this subject, but I am not sure whether I have a blockage as my procedure kick starts the rads downstairs.
Could it be a balancing issue, if so can I rectify this myself?
Or could it be a problem with the thermostat controls on the rads, once I turned the kitchen one off and on and it kicked back into life. I am not sure whether that was luck as on other occasions that has not rectified the problem.

All suggestions would be most welcome guys...

Sponsored Links
Sounds like your pumps dying....and a few things hint that you may have a sludged up system,

If you replace any component on a dirty system it aint going to last long

Thanks for the reply west brom, condolances for last Saturday. What is the best way to cure a sludged system?

The pump was replaced a couple of months ago, this problem was evident before the replacement...

If you think your trv heads are playing up remove them...make sure the pin is up on the valve ...then throw it in the corner...and see if the rad thoroughly warms up.

check your pump speed on the pump, if not already set to 3...pumps can fail very quickly if not vented correctly remove central screw and see if you can stop with a screwdriver if you can its f...ked.

sludge removal well documented on here as is rad balancing

regards

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back