Heatmiser WiFi CH programmers (PRT-TS or Neo) vs BG Hive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Combi boiler (Worcester Greenstar 37CDi) is located in the attic, my CH programmer (an ancient Honeywell model) is in the ex-airing-cupboard and the CH thermostat is in the downstairs hall. I'd like to have internet control as my work hours are irregular.

I've looked at the Heatmiser PRT-TS WiFi as a replacement controller but it looks like that includes the thermostat so would need to be located in the downstairs hall, however the wiring for that is just a 3-core 240V cable (Earth, Live and switched-Live) and it would be a real pain to get a 4-core cable to include neutral to power the unit and probably breaks some building reg if I leave out earth.

Am I reading it correct? or when they talk about 3-cable connection to boiler does it mean I can just rip out the programmer in the ex-airing-cupboard and use a mains junction box to continue the run down to the thermostat and put the Heatmiser downstairs?

Looking at the cost of the Heatmiser at around £120, then if I need to pay for any extra bits which could cost £40+, it starts to get to the point where it would be easier to pay BG £199 for Hive and then I can sit back and let their engineer do all the work for me.

Can I do what I need with just the Heatmiser, if not can anyone suggest a cheap source for the other parts, or should I just pay BG to do it for me?

Sponsored Links
If it helps you decide, I believe BG are offering 10% off of Hive till 18th May

Thanks for the tip.

I spoke to Heatmiser and they told me that their thermostats will function with just Live, Neutral and swithed-Live, however for safety reasons they are obliged to recommend that an earth is used.

The guy who answered the phone was a developer for their Wifi systems and recommended that their Neo range is easier to upgrade to a multizone system and can download bug fixes over the internet (cf the PRT-TS Wifi needs a reprogramming unit to be sent out and returned afterwards, to upgrade software).

The Hive system doesn't look like it will be upgradable to multiple zones, and the Honeywell Evohome looks too expensive.

So now I've just got to decide whether to pay an extra £60 for the ability to upgrade later ...

FYI:
[code:1]
For a single zone Multiple zones

Heatmiser PRT-TS Wifi

Wifi stat+programmer £137 Wifi control unit £140
Wifi stats £137 each

Heatmiser Neo

Neokit 1 incl. Neo control unit £140
Control unit + 1 remote stat Neo stats £70 each
kit price £199

BG Hive

Control unit + 1 remote stat + May be available in future
fitting by BG engineer £199
(maybe self-install option
for £159)

Honeywell Evohome

Single zone £315 Base control unit +
Network controller £315
TRVs £77 each
[/code:1]

Shopping around can get cheaper prices and BG are apparently have 10% discount at the moment.

There will be a multizone variant of HIVE released in the future. Also HIVE can be updated remotely so as new features are added your unit will be updated.

Plus if you choose self install of HIVE it only costs £159

Sponsored Links

Where did you find this? I can't see it on their website?

BTW, I see that Lightwave RF might extend their range of electrical and lighting controls to include central heating in the future, anyone any idea how long to market this is likely to be?

Ive just been on BGs site and cant see the 10% off hive its showing at £199
Any idea how u get the 10% off

Where did you find this? I can't see it on their website?

BTW, I see that Lightwave RF might extend their range of electrical and lighting controls to include central heating in the future, anyone any idea how long to market this is likely to be?

You have to ring the 0800 number and speak to a person to order for self install.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back