Heatstore waterscaling problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In common with some other houses in my area we have a central heating & hot water system based on the IMI Rolyat heatstore installed in 1992. The modern version of this is the Elson Coral Si.

During 2004 we replaced the oil fired boiler with a Worcester gas condending boiler.

The problem now in furring in the cold water coil in the heatstore ( I have replaced the blending valve), ie what best to do about this. To have the unit descaled would cost at least £300. I would like to attempt this myself but would need access to such as a Kamco descaler.

The second problem is that I have read that the condensing boiler is not efficient when used with a heatstore since the high temperatures (> 80C) does not allow efficient condending !

Any comments/advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
In the light of having received "null response" to my post of yesterday, it would seem that I am reduced to responding myself !

Supplementary questions:

Does anyone know of a low(ish) cost diy descaler similar to the Kamco Eco-Scale C10, and where such can be obtained ?

I have been warned that descaling a heatstore coil is more problematic than it would seem to a novice (me!) and very often a "professional" descaling costing £300+ is not properly carried out.
Surely it cannot be that difficult given one has the appropriate equipment!

Again, any advice will be appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back