Heavy duty waterproof jacket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does such a thing exist?

A year ago I bought an Apache waterproof jacket. It looked robust, had the classic cordura material on parts. Turned out to be the worst jacket I ever bought. Stitching started coming apart after a week. Minor nicks turned into major tears. I ended up looking like the rag man within a few months.

I'm looking for a seriously tough jacket, both in terms of material and stitching. Ideally waterproof or water resistant and thick enough for a mild winter. Not sure if this is possible. Happy to pay a lot of money for it if it lasts

Am thinking I may have to go down the waxed cotton route. Presumably normal wateroproof fabrics will easily tear. Don't want to do a cheap Dewalt, or Scruffs one for £40 if it won't last.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
ive got a cheapy version of a Barbour. Even that has lasted years because of the material.

Sponsored Links
My waxed Barbour lasted for years but the areas that crease eventually started to split. It is now about 30 years old an I occasionally wear it when doing messy work outdoors. I does "smell" though (you can't wash them). Barbour does offer a rewaxing service though (I was too tight to pay for it).

They can be heavy though and not very flexible.

Back