HELP - 10.5kw power shower wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Was hoping somebody could help me out. I have read a number of threads/topics on power showers and the need to use an RCD and MCB with the wiring, however something I saw did confuse me.

I am looking to install a 10.5kw power shower, utilising a 30ma RCD with a 50amp MCB and a 50amp pullcord switch. I was intending to use 10mm twin and earth to connect it up, but it requires approx 25m length to do so.

I noticed on another thread that the length of the cable could be a problem? Could anybody tell be if the length of this cable will present a problem in this set up? and if so what solution would you recommend?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
you're ok, 10mm is ok provided you don't intend burying it in the wall.

thanks toasty,

Only time the wire will need to be out of the way will be the last couple of foot to the shower behind the stud wall.

Just don't fill the stud wall with thermal insulation - the cable needs to run cool. The question of length is more about voltage drop, which for a fixed thing like a shower is usually less of a problem than for socket circuits where the load may be variable. the 4% voltage drop that is often used to calculate the maximum length is only right if the shower makers don't quite a voltage range, many do, and its much often wider than 4%, so the maximum length that is OK may be rather more than the simpler calculation suggests

Sponsored Links
Voltage drop is not just about whether the equipment will work. It is also about wasted electricity. 4% voltage drop along the cable means 4% of the power you are paying for is being wasted heating the cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back