Help.... Any ideas what is wrong with my wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've recently come back from travelling and have had lodgers living in my house whilst i've been away. I have noticed some strange marks at the bottom of my hallway wall and was wondering if it is damp or something.
It could well have just been scratched by things such as golf trolleys etc, but thought i would post a message on here as I need some help as to what to do about it before i redecorate.

The wall in question does back onto my downstairs bathroom - which is the main bathroom in the house (i.e with bath, power shower over the bath etc). The floor has slate tiles and seems as though the lodgers have allowed it to get quite wet from showers, and not mopped it up/cleaned regulary, hence why i thought damp could be a possibility.

This wall is however away from the taps end of the bath , and away from any pipework, so it seems unlikely that water would be reaching this wall -other than from the floor and rising up it.

I have posted some photos on a photo webpage - please have a look and let me know your thoughts on whether i have a damp problem - or whether it is just something else going on.

I'd also appreciate any ideas as to how i can get rid of this prior to redecorating and steps i can take to make sure it doesnt come back.

Kind regards

http://picasaweb.google.com/marco.ferri/Diy

Sponsored Links
Thats effloresence caused by dampness...the moisture has reactivated the salts in your plaser..

Scrape it all off, rub down the edges, apply a coat of alkali resisting primer or damp sealer, fill any damaged stuff..another coat of primer/sealer then emulsion

spot on - what zampa said

wont cost u a lot to sort out..but i would definately back the idea of using an interior damp sealent, a MUST if you dont want to see this problem again.

Sponsored Links
Zampa said:
Scrape it all off, rub down the edges, apply a coat of alkali resisting primer or damp sealer, fill any damaged stuff..another coat of primer/sealer then emulsion

I am a big fan of alkaline resisting primer, and it will sort your problem out, after you have done your prep of course, and nothing will come through the Alkaline primer. :)
Great stuff, have used it loads of times.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back