HELP- Boiler is busted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can help me. I brought a repo property and all the utilities were off so when i moved in i got a "gas safe" plummer to re-fill, service, vent etc the central heating system. When he was doing this he removed the valve in the boiler & water went everywhere, he cleaned it & replaced it. But the boiler would not register any pressure and therefore wont work. He went away saying he was going to source a pressure valve & something eles, this was on sat morning & the weather has got colder & colder so as he is now not answering the phone i need to get the boiler fixed before my pipes freeze & burst?!?!?

Sponsored Links
Well, today is the earliest that he can buy any boiler parts. Perhaps he does not answer the phone on Sundays?

If he is no longer on the job then obviously you need to find someone else.

One wonders what he was paid?

Tony

No he didn't ask for any money when he left which i thought was a little strange but i think i just have faith in people

How easy is it to get hold of pressure switches for a Glowworm 25x??

Sponsored Links
It all depends on the spares situation locally.

He could have temporarily bypassed it although thats not recommended.

Not charging implies to me that he intends to return.

Tony

To be fair, how quock do you expect him to be. you can not get parts anywhere that I know after 12 noon on Saturday, and he's entitled to a weekend off.

Have you been phonong a mobile or landline? If it is a landline, and he works from home, he could be away for the weekend, or simply does not answer it at w/ends as previously said. If it's a mobile, they get lost and also batteries run out.

He may have ordered the part, and he is certainly likely to have promised work lined up for this morning.

Having said that, in business, communication is everything. Did he not give you a timescale? He appears to have spent a considerable amount of time and effort to date, and hasn't taken any money, so I think it's a bit early to be discrediting him.

Is it realy that cold in your area?

I'm not having a go at you, but it is easy for some guys on here to get enquirers revved up and cause a greater issue than yhey started with.

Good luck, and I hope you make contact.

How easy is it to get hold of pressure switches for a Glowworm 25x??[/quote]

You could probably get it off the shelf, but I rarely visit trade counters. The time spent travelling and waiting to get served makes it unrealistic. I generally use one supplier and the parts usually arrive ne working day later. So even if I faxed the order on Saturday, it wouldn't arrive untill Tuesday. I would then have to find time to do the work.

When priotising jobs, old ladies come first and empty houses come last.

If you are concerned about pipes then leave an electric heater downstairs and all the internal doors open and the curtains closed if you have them.

Tony

Hey thats really an unfair comment, i am not a plummer & i do not know how things work in the "business" so hold back on the telling off if you dont mind.

I simply asked for some advise from other plummers about the situation. I ahev called him, e-mailed & text him & yes it is very cold here & as we are all told all the time we should be wary of leaving water in the system when its very cold or it will freeze & burst.

Hey thats really an unfair comment, i am not a plummer & i do not know how things work in the "business" so hold back on the telling off if you dont mind.

I simply asked for some advise from other plummers about the situation. I ahev called him, e-mailed & text him & yes it is very cold here & as we are all told all the time we should be wary of leaving water in the system when its very cold or it will freez pf the plumbere & burst.

Who do you feel is "telling you off"? Tony and I were simply trying to explain why you may not have heard from him yet, and Tony went on to give sound advice. And I made an implied criticism of the plumber for apparently failing to explain the next step and timescales.

Having said that, it's not unusual for clients to not listen properly!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back