HELP.......Boiler making strange noises

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have no idea on heating systems so I appologise now

We have a Glowworm Ultimate boiler downstairs a big scary box upstairs that is called a boilermate 2000 that allows you to switch heating/water on and off with a timer on it and a box in the loft.
Our boiler downstairs has starting making an extremely loud buzzing noise from within (its so loud you can hear it outside) The heating and hot water are both working but if it is going to break I woud prefer to get it fixed now before it dies completely. I did notice the other day that the water would not heat up so swithced the big scary box upstairs off and back on and it was working again. The boiler was making the noise before I did this. The noise starts when the boiler is kicking in, sometimes its only for a few seconds or like at 5am the other morning it went on for 20 mins. I did turn the boiler off over the weekend as we were not here but i came back today turned it on and the buzzing started straight away. Nothing has been changed recently plumbing wise.

Any advice much appreciated

Gemma

Sponsored Links
does the buzzing stop when the boiler actually fires

I just turned the heating back on to check this as its been buzzing for about 1/2 and hour, it took ages to kick in the pilot light lit and the buzzing stopped.
Normally the boiler starts straight away when you turn the heating on and if you run the hot tap.

Gemmsie

Sponsored Links
sounds like either the fan struggling to start or solenoid on gas valve
you need a corgi for either one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back