help boiler pilot keeps going out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I had a problem with my old wickes boiler, it refused to flare-up and heat the rads. A friend suggested that the thermocoupling needed replacing, I replaced it, and all was well... for a day or two.!

Now the boiler keeps extinguishing the pilot light, sometimes it may last for 4 hours, othertimes it may go off 4 times in 1 hour.

HELP

Have I forgot to do someting, or does it sound like another part failing.

Cheers in anticipation.

AW

Sponsored Links
I ha d a problem with a gas fire that did the same. Replaced the thermocouple but still had the same problem. The answer turned out to be the pilot jet. This is the very small gas outlet that supplies the gas to the flame that heats the thermocouple. behind this jet is a very samall and very fine filter. This is designed to trap DUST which is present in natural gas in minute quantities. After a year or three of use, the accummulation of dust is sufficient to reduce the pilot flame length such that the hottest part of the pilot flame is away from the thermocouple. When heating ad expansion effect have evened themselves out ( after an hour or so) the thermocouple cools sufficiently to think that the pilot flame has faile, and then shuts down the main gas jet. The solution is to carefully remove the pilot jet (isolate the gas supply first) and blowwout the dust fom the jet and the filter. Carefully re-assemble and restore the gas supply. Blled air from pise and re-light. May need to repeat after a year or so. CAUTION!!! Repairs to gas appliances should only be carried out by registered CORGI engineers. DIY repairs that result in gas explosions/accidents may invalidate house insurance and result in CRIMINAL charges. Take care!

Cheers for the advice, I will take a peek to see if that could be my problem... I take on-board your corgi points.

AW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back