Help! Central heating comes on whenever hot water on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday, my central heating system switched on whenever I switched the hot water on. The indicator lights on the programmer only shows the hot water as being on. Now it's happening all the time, if the hot water is on so is the central heating. I have changed the programmer (assuming it was faulty) but it has not made any difference. Any advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
You will have a rotating valve on the CH side, very possibly on the HW side as well, although this need not be so.
The valve is driven by an Actuator ( small electric motor ) which rotates the valve to both switch on the CH and open the CH valve. I suspect the Actuator has stopped working or the valve has stuck - or too tight to move (should be possible to rotate with fingers), and when the HW 'sensor' switches 'on' to heat the tank, as the CH valve is also open the water will also travel to the radiators.
Look for a box with a cable sitting on the pipework which will be sitting over the valve.
Disconnect - you can leave the valve in closed position (turn across pipework with fingers if the valve is OK) - and take the Actuator to replace.
Hope this helps
Doug

Dougair, thanks a lot. I've located the right bit (hopefully) and managed to stop the heating. I should be able to take off the actuator tomorrow. Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back