NEST Heating and Hot Water Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Question, Does NEST Automatically heat the Hot Water whenever the central heating is on?

In the App you can control and setup schedules for both which is fine in the summer when I am not using central heating.

can I just turn off the schedule for Hot water totally during the winter and assume NEST will automatically heat the water whenever the Central heating is on

Thanks in Advance.

Sponsored Links
Nest, provides independent control of the central heating and the hot water, provided that the plumbing and design of the system it is connected to allows it. Assuming yours is like this, then for the hot water cylinder to be be heated, the hot water will have to be set to be on for it to heat up the water.

Some very old installations (40 years plus) don't have the facility to have the heating on without the hot water being on at the same time. However, this is not a fault of Nest but the design of the system. In this instance the hot water will come on with the central heating.

If you're not sure try it and see.

Thanks, I will keep the separate schedule for water and CH .

Sponsored Links
It all depends how Nest is wired, and how the central heating is plumbed. With my central heating boiler the way it is plumbed it is impossible to have central heating on without it heating the domestic hot water. My oil fired boiler is using a variant of the C Plan, there is no motorised valve on the DHW so impossible for any electrical device to allow CH without DHW.

As @stem says "provided that the plumbing and design of the system it is connected to allows it." my boiler fitted it says 2004, and there is no thermostat or motorised valve on the DHW.

The old design allows the boiler to cool by heating the DHW, there is no cool down sequence on the boiler, when thermostat for CH says satisfied it simple switches off all supply to boiler, common with oil, unusual with gas.

With gas all the cleaver stuff is included in the boiler, and it has cool down time and the pump is part of boiler, and although the motorised valves may be outside the boiler, the boiler control is often very different to oil, and the wall thermostat, well for that matter the thermostat built into the radiators, slowly increases or reduces boiler output, it does not simply switch off/on although on/off control is sometimes still used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back