How to control heating and hot water tank using Nest 3rd Gen Thermostat and app

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Hive controller to schedule hot water and heating in the house. Heating is further controlled using hive thermostat. I have a systems boiler that is connected to a hub that sends signals to hot water tank. Hot water tank is fed by mains (not gravity), installed last year.
I am planning to install Nest 3rd Gen thermostat unit to control both hot water and heating. Can anyone point me on how to go about it? Is nest compatible with my system and can allow me to do what I am planning? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5715.jpeg
    IMG_5715.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 40
Sponsored Links
Being an unvented cylinder, it falls under part G3 of the building regulations. I’m not 100% sure you can do it under diy.

Being an unvented cylinder, it falls under part G3 of the building regulations. I’m not 100% sure you can do it under diy.
I want to understand the work that is involved here. Appreciate your concern on why I should not do it.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Yes you can do it the nest receiver simply replaces the existing Hive receiver, no G3 requirement to do it, will require some minor wiring alterations though as they dont use the same backplate

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
Yes you can do it the nest receiver simply replaces the existing Hive receiver, no G3 requirement to do it, will require some minor wiring alterations though as they dont use the same backplate
Thanks. Where can I find any more details on how to do it?

Well, you learn something new, thanks mate.

Thanks. Where can I find any more details on how to do it?
Nothing hard google the wiring diagrams for nes and for Hive dual channel, the same wires go to the corrosponding terminal , i.e. HW on to HW on etc but on the nest you will need to make a link between live and 2&5 the rest is a simple swap all the wires are already there

• Thanks
Nest Gen 3 can use Opentherm, and the algorithms are claimed to be better than Hive, however it has no compatable TRV heads so likely better with Hive.

I have Nest Gen 3 mainly as two wires main house to boiler does all, but when Google bought out Nest they dropped support for Energenie TRV's and in Europe failed to market an alternative. In USA they market sensors but they don't work with UK version.

Thanks. Can you please share your wiring diagram?
You do not need a wiring diagram, you do not have a C plan just move the wires from the hive to the nest to exactly the same terminals, if you cant do that then you will need a pro installer , it couldnt be easier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back