Nest 3rd Gen with Vaillant ecotec plus 612

Thanks Fezster, pictures would be great if you don't mind.

I take it you have a nest wired to each zone valve? My valves are 230v so don't think the heat link would provide enough power.

Sponsored Links
The heat link can switch 230V zone valves. Take a look at the heat link instructions and specifically the wiring diagram for s plan. Terminal 5 is 230V common and terminal 6 is call for heat going to your cylinder stat, which then supplies 230V to your zone valve.

If you measure the voltage on the CYL terminals on the vr65/66, the left hand terminal supplies 230V and is supposed to go via the cylinder stat to the right hand terminal, thus bridging it. This then results in the vr65/66 instructing the boiler via ebus to go into cylinder heating mode (ie. Boost flow temp to 80). The same can be achieved by supplying 230V to the right hand terminal alone.

Screenshot-20211217-211648-Photos.jpg

pj36XLk

That's for your help. I could look into this method. I would need to find a way to disconnect/decommission the existing controller. I assume you have your nest display mounted on a stand?

No, both my nests are wall mounted and powered directly by the heat links (using my existing thermostat wiring, obviously now only supplying 12V).

Sponsored Links
The biggest difference between Ebus controls and Nest is that Ebus controls the flow temperature and boiler modulation (power output) Nest is a dumb on off control with a fancy interface.
Your controls may just need commissioning properly.

Not completely true as Nest supports OpenTherm, which also controls boiler flow temps in OT compatible boilers.

I liked the Nest controls and their thermostat, but wanted to keep the weather comp and PDHW. The solution I have makes the 2 compatible.

It is in this case as Vaillant boilers do not have Opentherm. There is an ebus to opentherm adapter but it is not supported in the UK and will invalidate the boilers warranty.
@fezster how are you switching the boiler off when you're not heating the radiators? Do you have switched live into 4 for all zones? (HTG & HW)
Curious as I've never seen this done.

Last edited:
No, both my nests are wall mounted and powered directly by the heat links (using my existing thermostat wiring, obviously now only supplying 12V).

On closer inspection I have a VR61/4 not a vr65. Any ideas on the wiring?

Attachments

• IMG_20211220_154552.jpg
    IMG_20211220_154552.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 96
It is in this case as Vaillant boilers do not have Opentherm. There is an ebus to opentherm adapter but it is not supported in the UK and will invalidate the boilers warranty.

Yes, the VR33. Previous members on here have successfully used it on the Vaillant 4 series boiler. I considered it, however I didn't see any great advantage to the Nest (or any thermostat for that matter) controlling flow temps without weather compensation.

The Vaillant weather compensating controls also have an outdoor sensor, rather than relying on internet data.

@fezster how are you switching the boiler off when you're not heating the radiators? Do you have switched live into 4 for all zones? (HTG & HW)
Curious as I've never seen this done.

Correct. All zone valves use the orange SL to control the boiler using on/off controls via terminal 4. The VR66 and VRC470f/VR20 are used only for modulating flow temps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back