HELP! Chimney breast arch damaged!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I am in the process of making my fireplace larger. I have carefully removed the bricks below the arch lintel but am now worried about the condition of the arch.

The arch is made up of two rows of bricks with the bottom row of bricks sitting on a curved steel arch. The bottom row of bricks appear to be fine. The top row of bricks that make up the arch are in a really bad state - there are huge gaps, cracked and loose bricks and some of the bricks appear to have been cut in half.

Is there anything i can do to strengthen this arch, in particular the top row of arched bricks? Will filling in the gaps with concrete be enough or will they need to be supported in another way?

Any advice would be HUGELY appreciated!

Sponsored Links
I've used broken slate wedges to tighten up the brickwork in a rickety chimney breast like this before re-pointing and re-plastering.
If you intend to use the hearth for a real fire you'll also need to do something about the rendering on the inside of the flue,

Sponsored Links
If you intend to use the hearth for a real fire you'll also need to do something about the rendering on the inside of the flue,

Unless it's not been rendered?

Hi there,

I am in the process of making my fireplace larger. I have carefully removed the bricks below the arch lintel but am now worried about the condition of the arch.

The arch is made up of two rows of bricks with the bottom row of bricks sitting on a curved steel arch. The bottom row of bricks appear to be fine. The top row of bricks that make up the arch are in a really bad state - there are huge gaps, cracked and loose bricks and some of the bricks appear to have been cut in half.

Is there anything i can do to strengthen this arch, in particular the top row of arched bricks? Will filling in the gaps with concrete be enough or will they need to be supported in another way?

Any advice would be HUGELY appreciated!

What you do now depends on what finished product you want to end up with. You have said you are making the fireplace larger but for what? A gas fire? Solid fuel fire? Stove? Will the original arch be exposed or covered by a mantel? As for the soundness of brickwork without seeing it who can tell. Grab hold of the arch and give it a good pull; if the chimney breast collapses on top of you it needs strengthening if it stays where it is you'll be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back