Help Cracked shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About an year ago the plumber installed this brand 900mm tray on a bed of mortar
https://www.showerstoyou.co.uk/ultra-pearlstone-900mm-square-shower-tray/

Wooden joists, and osb floor. Floor surrounding is tiled on cement boards and not cracked, so doubt floor is flexing.

what is the solution short of removing tiles and changing it?

was planning to remove silicone, clean with alcohol and fill crack with transparent silicone?

thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 3511A7AF-C4F6-46A2-A3AE-694ABB266121.jpeg
    3511A7AF-C4F6-46A2-A3AE-694ABB266121.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 129
  • 63A9BC36-8336-49C9-9D9E-E707593E8B2A.jpeg
    63A9BC36-8336-49C9-9D9E-E707593E8B2A.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 124
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I would drill out the tip of the crack with a small drill (3mm?) This will stop the crack from propogating.
I would then, as best i could, open up the crack. Perhaps use a hacksaw blade.

Then, clean up and use a suitable filler/paste (like JB-weld but for plastic). Perhaps use masking tape to keep it a clean fill.
I wouldn't be removing tiles and installing a new pan unless i absolutely had too.

Have you looked carefully at the crack whilst loading up the tray? Is the tray supported correctly?

Silicone would never last. A dremel would be of most use here. You would need to widen out that crack and then fill it with a 2 pack repair epoxy, almost like repairing a bath crack.

No telling how long it would last though, as the presumption is that the tray must be flexing at that point. How long after install did the crack appear?

Ground or upper floor?

How thick is OSB. Size of Joists? Did you see the motor bed? Is/was it complete - not just dot & dab.

I would drill out the tip of the crack with a small drill (3mm?) This will stop the crack from propogating.
I would then, as best i could, open up the crack. Perhaps use a hacksaw blade.

Then, clean up and use a suitable filler/paste (like JB-weld but for plastic). Perhaps use masking tape to keep it a clean fill.
I wouldn't be removing tiles and installing a new pan unless i absolutely had too.

Have you looked carefully at the crack whilst loading up the tray? Is the tray supported correctly?
Thanks, I was thinking of doing this, but was afraid as the tray is 40mm thick and cracking?? Behind this tray, to the front of it and to the sides are 6mm floor tiles and they haven’t cracked???
I will check the crack to see if it widens or contracts on loading- excellent point thanks

Silicone would never last. A dremel would be of most use here. You would need to widen out that crack and then fill it with a 2 pack repair epoxy, almost like repairing a bath crack.

No telling how long it would last though, as the presumption is that the tray must be flexing at that point. How long after install did the crack appear?
I do have a dremel somewhere, and will check on Amazon for a 2 pack epoxy.
I think it’s been fitted for 16months and the I noticed the crack about a 4 months ago or so. Thanks

Ground or upper floor?

How thick is OSB. Size of Joists? Did you see the motor bed? Is/was it complete - not just dot & dab.
Ground floor, suspended timber floor.
Pictures attached, 2.5m span
18mm osb
From what I recall, full mortar bed, it was placed on it and squashed till the falls etc were right, obviously cannot tell if edges were supported by mortar, but having said that I don’t step at the edges as that edge is where the shower unit is. Thanks!

Attachments

• DC1B19BA-3B7F-44B6-A818-BB74CEAF5ABB.png
    DC1B19BA-3B7F-44B6-A818-BB74CEAF5ABB.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 77
  • 0B95A78B-5213-4E98-AD2B-E3BD9FB60F03.png
    0B95A78B-5213-4E98-AD2B-E3BD9FB60F03.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 77
I would look for a white repair epoxy that's designed for repairing sanitary wear. It tends to have colour stabilisers etc to keep it white, plain epoxy will tend to yellow over time.
Thanks a lot, will search for one and report on how it goes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back