Help!!damp patches around chimney breast in upstairs bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter has asked me for help (as daughters do), but I'm not too good with damp problems, so hope someone here can help.
It is a spare bedroom so very seldom is heated, it has no fireplace but may have had because the chimney stack has 2 pots.The damp patches seem to be the same width as the external stack. Also the room has a vaulted ceiling
The room below has a fireplace with living flame fire, but again seldom used ( maybe once a week), no sign of any damp in this room.
A roofer has been to the stack twice,( 6 mths ago) replaced a couple of tiles, painted flat roof,checked flashing, but the patches still feel damp to back of hand.
Hope someone can help her, thanks

View media item 62509 View media item 62510 View media item 62511 View media item 62512

Sponsored Links
Can you indicate on the external pic, or a new pic, where, from the outside, the damp is located?

Can you go in the loft and determine what flues are present?

Please post a pic of the c/stack terminals/pots.

Have a good look at the lead flashing and check for missing tiles, also have a look at the pointing in.

Thanks for your replies. when checking from inside and outside the damp appears to be directly below the whole base of the stack. The curve of the top of the wall to the ceiling (think it's called "vaulted") makes it difficult to be sure , but that where it seems to be.
I live about 80 miles from my daughter but visit at least once a fortnight, so I'll check what you both suggest when I'm next there. Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Guessing by the pic it is a flat roof that goes up against the wall in question, I would check along there first. Take a hose up or buckets of water, if water collects somewhere then examine that area closely.

Just realised the roofer couldn't have checked flashing because the stack is pebble dashed down to the roof tiles.

Looks to me like there is no back gutter :confused: behind the chimney - you can get away with this sometimes - the lead is there but just sits in a tight V behind the stack . They`ve got away with it here in my bungalow , it don`t leak , but it`s on the list to install a proper back gutter ( just cuz I can , as a leadworking Plumber ;) ) Have a look @ the web - loads of details and pics of back gutters and chimney flashings . Also might be a good idea to investigate the redundant flue to the bedroom - see that it`s capped properly and install a small air vent in the room thru` to the flue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back